ASUS U Series Bamboo Collection Owners Thread (U33JC/U43JC/U53JC)

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Case1, Jul 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ALLurGroceries

ALLurGroceries Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Please see: http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus/174395-bios-update-guide-asus-notebooks.html

ASUS Update is a buggy program, I wouldn't rely on it. Instead browse the asus support page: http://support.asus.com/download/

2. tenchi71

tenchi71 Newbie

Reputations:
    OK. So for all you Asus U43JC-B1 owners out there who want to upgrade your single band wifi to a Dual Band card, such as the Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6200, the job isn't that hard. I did not take pictures of the process as I did it last minute and did not have a camera or my phone handy, but it's fairly straight forward.

The half-height wifi card is actually located under the keyboard, top right hand side. The laptop has two antennae cables, so getting one of the better three antennae cards (Like the Intel Ultimate-N 6300) is a waste unless you wanted to add one via retrofit kit. What's nice is that these cards are capable of doing the Intel WiDi thing on the 2.4GHz band, so you won't loose a feature by going with a modern Centrino card.

To get to the card I removed the battery, dvd-drive, hard drive, and ram. I then needed to remove all screws visible from the bottom, as well as screws under the two rubber feet. Make sure you keep the screws organized after removal, they are not all the same size. Next, I flipped the machine over, opened it as wide as it would go, and carefully pried the entire top portion of the laptop off using a plastic pry tool. Use a plastic tool, you'll be prying all along where the chrome parts meet the bottom plastic. A screwdriver will mar this very easily. Most of the prying was all along the front, right where the LEDs are located, so be careful not to harm those. Once the front pries away, the rest lifts up easily, the entire top portion is one piece (palm rest/mouse-pad/keyboard/buttons). Be careful, there are 4 thin and relatively short ribbon cables connecting the keyboard/mouse/buttons to the motherboard. To be able to get to and remove the wifi card, I needed to disconnect the first two ribbon cables going from right to left. Be easy on them. They have little black levers that you lift up to unlock the cables. Next, carefully disconnect the two antennae cables, and then remove the two screws holding the wifi card into place. The card then pops up and comes right out.

All you do next is install the new card and reverse your steps. I didn't need to update my drivers as the Intel wifi software already supports the 6200.

I LOVE being able to use my 5GHz network with out a USB dongle hanging off the side.

3. soobaerodude

soobaerodude Newbie

Reputations:
  4. soobaerodude

soobaerodude Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for info on upgrading the wifi on the U43. I started last night, but was stumped after removing the RAM, hard drive, and all the bottom screws.

5. tenchi71

tenchi71 Newbie

Reputations:
    LOL! Uhm... look at the post directly above your post about the Best Buy deal...

6. soobaerodude

soobaerodude Newbie

Reputations:
    :) Yeah, I just realized that after I initially posted. Thanks again

7. rdwoody1

rdwoody1 Newbie

Reputations:
    I need a bit of information from you owners. I'm about to order a U43. Probably later on tonight.

I'm looking at the U43F-BBA6 and the U43JC-BBA6 from Best Buy.

First off, I can't see a huge amount of difference between the two. The JC has the NVIDIA card, and the F has 6GB of RAM. As far as I can tell, the rest of the specs are the same. The site claims an extra hour of battery life on the JC, but I don't understand why. Don't they have the same battery?

I know I don't really need 6GB of RAM in my laptop, but the F is $100 cheaper. I don't plan to do much gaming if any, so I don't see a huge need for the video card. The most intensive programs I'll be running will be design programs like AutoCAD or ProEngineer. Aside from that, it will be used for regular web surfing, word processing, and occasional programming in Visual Studio.

Any input or extra information would be greatly appreciated. I feel like there may be something I'm missing unless the video card makes up for the price difference. Also, give me your opinion. Which one would you go with?

8. isosunrise

isosunrise Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Rdwood1, since you will be using AutoCAD and ProEngineer, I suggest getting the JC with a dedicated graphics card; it is worth the extra $100. That said, if your Best Buy has the U43FRF-BBA5 (refurbish) on clearance for about <$400, I would grab that instead due to the price. Most do not have it in stock or that special price.

9. rdwoody1

rdwoody1 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the response, iso. Unfortunately, my Best Buy location stopped carrying Asus products in store, so I'm going to have to order online or through them. For under $400 I would definitely go in that direction, but the order price is $600, and I just don't see myself paying that when I can get a brand new one for $780 - $880.

I was originally leaning toward the JC anyway. I just noticed the F earlier today and started wondering.

10. HotShot225

HotShot225 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Unless you're purchasing at BB for a particular reason, I would check out Amazon or B&H Photo (.com). Not only is the price better, you don't pay tax (depending on state). Also, I don't think the BB models come with the 1 year accidental damage ASUS coverage. I went with the U43JC - B1 from B&H and am very happy. I think their sale ends on the 15th.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.