Asus TUF FX505DU mini review

Discussion in 'Asus' started by DRevan, May 28, 2019.

1. juggar

juggar Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Are you sure you have the model with the AMD Ryzen chip? It does not get hot at all and currently there is no way to tweak or undervolt it.

You can increase the fan speed/fan profile with the turbo option on the keyboard (FN + fan icon). I did quite a bit of benchmarking and never saw the CPU get anywhere close to that.

Played many hours of dead by daylight with the GPU OC'd moderately as well, temps were great.

prosetheus likes this.
  2. prosetheus

prosetheus Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Much thanks for that reply.I will check out the RAM timings

3. prosetheus

Reputations:
    Thanks a lot for the quick reply. And I bought the laptop after the detailed reviews by those youtube channels (they seem to be very thorough and honest reviewers). However, since I bought the laptop while in China, could I have gotten a shoddy paste solution? Thee guy I quoted also mentioned these regular drops. The behaviour seems consistent with throttling CPU. This laptop should not throttle. I did the Turbo thing and it reduced the frequency of the drops. Maybe it only happens on an external display when perhaps the APU also comes on, and then the temps jump.

4. juggar

juggar Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Its possible you have a bad paste job, and ive not seen those FPS drops. Granted ive only really played dead by daylight and done benchmarking.

I would log the CPU and GPU frequency + temps and see what you can find out. Even with CPU intensive games, it seems unlikely it would get that hot. Its only a 35 watt 4 core chip. Those temps are what I expect from 6 core intel CPU's that have not been undervolted.

prosetheus likes this.
  5. prosetheus

Reputations:

This is very strange. I just played through a very hectic session of the game, and there were no strange fps drops anymore. This doesnt make sense as the temps were still very high. Yet, no throttling this time. I'm beginning to think there may be some other issue.

Can't figure out what might be the issue here.

Attached Files:

6. taraquin

taraquin Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Kingston HyperX 2400 runs at cl14, that might give a bit if performance improvement :)

prosetheus likes this.
  7. prosetheus

Reputations:
    Hey guys,

Can anyone please post temps of them playing resource intensive games?

I'm in the high mid to high 80's for CPU and early 80's (about 81) for GPU (1660ti). What are you all getting?

8. Chemware

Chemware Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Picked up this laptop two days ago in AU. Still sorting it out.

Very impressed for the price.

No games yet, but have seen some 1-3 second "stutters" both on the desktop and in Unigen Heaven 4.0. Windows not handling Ryzen threads properly ?

Temperatures seem reasonable though: 33°-40° on the desktop, maxing at GPU 75° / CPU 60° in Heaven. Will try undervolting the GPU and see what happens.

ps: can now confirm that it really does do FreeSync with both the integrated Vega 10 and the discrete 1660ti.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
    prosetheus likes this.
  9. Ice444

Ice444 Newbie

Reputations:
    I've got a few tips...

1. install amd and nvidia drivers
    2. The fan selection coincides with power level - if you set it to silent then the battery will run on power save.
    3. Use msiafterburner to undervolt the gpu
    4. You can enable the monitor to run 1440/4K
    5. If you want to control the lighting on the keyboard install aura core
    6. Install a 2nd ram stick to run in dual channels
    Really impressed so far - mine rubs far cry 5/f1 2019 at 1440p at 60fps.

prosetheus likes this.
  10. prosetheus

Reputations:
    The stutters on desktop seem to be from the nvme rather than the CPU. They come and go and I cannot reproduce them.

During gaming, If you turn on Afterburner, you will see that is when the CPU throttles to 400 MHz due to heat. I fixed mine through a repaste. Not very difficult. Remember that the wifi cards wire goes over one of the heatsinks, so you will have to remove the nvme drive and then the wireless card to remove the whole heatsink assembly.

Although your temps imply that you probably don't need a repaste. Please compare with my scores.

Here are my scores after repaste.

The lower one is on Performance Mode (selected through Armory Core app) and the higher one was on turbo mode. My CPU temps were also in the 80s so I think i will have to repaste again.

Much thanks for the tips.

Attached Files: