Asus TUF FX505DU mini review

Discussion in 'Asus' started by DRevan, May 28, 2019.

1. DRevan

DRevan Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Just a mini review of this cheap budget laptop.

This laptop is currently one of the cheapest gaming laptops on the market with a GTX 1660 Ti.

But what is the laptop like?

Chassis
    Plastic, but the good kind, it does not have cheap feel to it.
    Keyboard on the other hand is not the best, when you press a button you can see nearby buttons bend. But I have seen worse.

Speakers
    Mediocare but okay I guess. It support DTS with headphones though.

Performance
    GTX 1660 Ti has the performance of a GTX 980 desktop card and is slightly slower than a much more expensive rtx 2060, so it is pretty good for a budget laptop.
    The Ryzen 7 3750h on the other hand only has the performance of a 7700hq, so a 8750h can beat it easily.

Temps
    Factory paste is not good and needs a repaste. Temps after paying 10 mins with factory paste :
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Screen
    Asus is using a Sharp lm156lf-gl panel which has 120 hz refresh rate, about 20 ms response time and around 60% sRGB color reproduction which makes it pretty mediocare.
    However the thing that saves it is a tech which is not very common in this price range...the built in screen supports FreeSync!
    It can be enabled after installing the AMD driver because the Vega 10 built in the CPU is responsible for handling the panel and the Nvidia card only boost performance, like with Optimus.
    AMD driver reports a FreeSync range of 48-120 hz which actually makes it better for games with low fps than the Helios 500 which costs twice as much because the range there is 60-144 .
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is pretty neat stuff, I do not know why Asus is not promoting this, this laptop is the first hybrid laptop with AMD FreeSync screen and Nvidia high performance vga.

Price
    Best part is that all this only costs 1100 USD.
    Depending on country and shop you may also get free goodies.
    For example here in Hungary Asus Hungary is giving free stuff for this laptop.
    These include 17" backpack, headphones, mouse and mousepad with a total value of around 200 USD.

Last edited: May 28, 2019
  2. User32

User32 Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Now if only ASUS didn't have garbage warranty service, I would have bought something like this to replace my TrashPad P50.

How well does GTA V run on the 1660Ti?

3. DRevan

DRevan Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Interesting thing is that FreeSync is hidden with the AMD driver from Asus website, however it will be enabled with driver from AMD's website.

4. Dennismungai

Dennismungai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Interesting stuff, thanks for this

5. DRevan

DRevan Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Okay, the System came with BIOS 301, so I installed BIOS 305 to see if it was just a fluke and Asus removed it in the latest BIOS or not...the answer after running the FreeSync demo:

[​IMG]

:)

6. Dennismungai

Dennismungai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hey there,

Do you know the exact model numbers of the items above, shipped with the laptop? Thanks.

7. taraquin

taraquin Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Awesome that it has freesync! Did you get single or dual channel ram? Care to do a test of single vs dual channel if you can? :)

8. taraquin

Reputations:
    g-sync working in hybrid mode on With a AMD\Nvidia-combo? That must be a first :D Does it work flawlessly in games as well? One big problem With G-sync-laptops is poor batterylife since g-sync must be disabled in hybridmode since Intel iGPU don`t support it. If the Ryzen With iGPU and Nvidia dGPU supports this it`s awesome!

9. DRevan

DRevan Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Not GSync, FreeSync (technically the same, just from different company)

10. taraquin

Reputations:
    Yeah, I know, what I meant is if switching between iGPU and dGPU dont disable adaptive sync that must be a first on a notebook :)