Asus TAICHI Owners' Lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by crabnebula, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Rhydm

Rhydm Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi there. My Windows version is 8.1. I tried 10 when it first came out, but couldn't get both screens to work. Must try again at some point to see if the issues have been resolved.

2. RockDr

RockDr Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I last posted here in 2014 after I had issues with Win 8.1. I rolled back to Win 8 and all was well in the world (was well because we hardly used the heap of junk) until a few months ago when I decided to have another try with 8.1. The upgrade seemed to work, both screens worked and no issues until last week.

I was using it in notebook mode on battery and it suddenly turned off mid browsing. Would not restart. I plugged it in and nothing. After a few goes i shut the lid and restarted it and I got the Asus logo and loading symbol but nothing else on the outer screen. Open lid and inner screen not working. Pull charger out and laptop dies instantly.

It booted all the way through once and I noticed the battery was not charging at all. It was on 0% and said not charging. Strange because I did not notice any degradation in battery life at all. I restarted it to see if it would boot up again. Mistake.

I since have had it attempt auto repair and get the black screen with jumpy cursor after the initial boot but before login.

I stuck a bit of blu tack on the f2 button so I could get to the bios as only outer screen works. It refuses to boot from usb recovery (same recovery drive i used in 2014 which my work laptop recognises so it's unlikely it is faulty) even though I can select it on start up options via the esc key. It just seems to hang with the black screen.

Even when I try to access the recovery partition using the blu tack trick with the f11 or f12 button (can't remember) it hangs with the black screen.

So I think this might be the end of the line for this heap of crap? Inner screen not working, won't boot normally, get the black screen after auto repair attempt, can't get into safe mode and can't boot from USB or recovery partition. I think my only option left is to take it somewhere to recover hard drive contents and then bin it.

Thoughts?

3. RockDr

Reputations:
    Double post

4. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    This issue shouldn't be OS related but you can try going into BIOS assuming if battery is working fine, unplug the AC adapter and see if it stays on.

5. RockDr

Reputations:
    Just tried when in the bios and yep it shut down when I pulled the charger out.

6. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    I see, so it is the battery that had gone out of life. They typically provide 500 cycles and will gradually fail. It's great that it has lasted this long.
    Since you have had the system for like 3+ years it's reasonable that the battery had reached the end of its life. However, you can find replacement battery eBay to have it replaced.
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...attery.TRS0&_nkw=asus+taichi+battery&_sacat=0

7. Brazo

Brazo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  8. RockDr

Reputations:
    Diagnosis is faulty motherboard. Getting data recovered then it's in the bin for this one.