Asus Strix SCAR 15 G533QS 150W TDP vBIOS on RTX 3080??

Discussion in 'Asus' started by SMGJohn, Feb 24, 2021.

1. SMGJohn

SMGJohn Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hello, the Asus ROG Strix SCAR 15 G533QS seem to have a 130W TDP RTX 3080, however the Zephyrus Duo SE also has a 130W TDP RTX 3080 and I notice that some people actually flashed the MSI 150W TDP vBIOS on it for an increase in performance in exchange for extra heat.

Considering the SCAR 15 having way better cooling, I was wondering if anyone has actually tried the same thing??

I am still waiting for mine, I know there is a vBIOS for the 130W card that raises the lower limit to force the card to run at 130W at all time.

The SCAR 15 comes with a 240W adapter however compared to the 280W one that comes with the Zephyrus Duo SE.

Spartan@HIDevolution likes this.
  2. Raid0ss

Raid0ss Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello,
    In truth the cooling system is superior in the zephyrus duo 15 Se due to the double air flow. Just see any stress tests to confirm that.
    In addition, for what results from the Notebookcheck.net tests, the maximum stress consumption is ~200W so asus would have the option to make a future upgrade to 150W tgp (provided that this is due to a bug on the CPU as stated by notebookcheck.net)

Spartan@HIDevolution likes this.
  3. ZBIGPL

ZBIGPL Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Could you please provide the link as I havent noticed this bug being mentioned...cheers

4. Raid0ss

Reputations:
    ZBIGPL likes this.
  5. Raid0ss

Reputations:
    "We're able to record a maximum draw of 196.7 W from the large (~17.8 x 8.4 x 3.5 cm) 280 W AC adapter when running Prime95 and FurMark simultaneously. This overhead is unusually large which makes us wonder if the steep CPU clock rate fluctuates mentioned in our Stress Test section above could be a bug. The AC adapter is definitely capable of outputting more power to the laptop and yet the laptop never seems to demand it."

6. ZBIGPL

Reputations:
    Wonder if that was already fixed with the bios 311 hmm

7. ZBIGPL

Reputations:
    Cheers mate!

--->Can someone share vbios 150w from MSI gp76 3080? It can be successfully uploaded to strix scar 2021

Msi removed it from their website...

My Strix have 5800h and 240W still have some backup...
    Cheers!

8. ZBIGPL

Reputations:
    Looks like its fixed for strix scar 17:
    "However, there have been improvements compared to the predecessor here as well. Since we measured a maximum temporary consumption of 227 watts, the 240-watt power adapter also offers enough leeway for performance peaks."
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-...-review-AMD-and-Nvidia-combined.523159.0.html

9. kill4l

kill4l Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    check on msi USA website. it was there today

10. ZBIGPL

Reputations:
    Cheers mate Ive checked it already but nothing on msi forum part found ge76 vbios for 3080 dump from gpuz

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021