Asus Scar II - GL704GW, i7 8750H, RTX2070, 144hz

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by cloudpm, Feb 3, 2019.

1. Oddyman

Oddyman Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks Chocolate_Ch3rry!
    1. OK so RMA means what, sori im a bit bad with there sorts xD?
    2.To do a repaste, even with all the blessing from the Asus is absurd, just like you wrote it before. It shouldn't be like this ffs, 2k+ for a laptop, so i can jerk it on trottlestop...instead of playing games.

Well i really hope they fix something, or i do RMA, witch i hope you will explain me now what it is :)

Yeah ok RMA! Thanks google explained!
    And this can be achieved directly with asus or the store that sold the laptop to me?

2. Chocolate_Ch3rry

Chocolate_Ch3rry Newbie

Reputations:
    RMA= Return Merchandise Authorization. It's just a term everyone uses in reference to warranty returns/repairs basically. Just contact Asus, explain to them to Laptop is thermal throttled during gaming and running abnormally hot. They'll have you return it to them via a prepaid shipping label they will send you. Then they will make an attempt to repair or replace the laptop. Some people claim to have better results with repasting, but maybe you and me could have just had lost the chip lottery and had some bad chips that run to hot.

Edit- I would reach out to the store you bought it from first. See what options they have if any. If its past the return time, they'll probably just refer you to Asus.

3. Oddyman

Reputations:
    Well, the laptop went back to the store, and back to asus. And yeah stores return policy is 14 days no question asked, now its 28 days.
    Will manage something, ty :)

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  4. spudstone

spudstone Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Anyone able to tell me the RAM used in these? Or could this vary?

I'd ordered the 16GB crucial CT16G4SFD8266 as I had seen this mentioned in other GL704 posts.

I wouldn't want to run in single channel.

Laptop and ram turns up Friday, obviously I'll be able to confirm when I open the model up - but I had to bundle the RAM in with the Laptop order for tax reasons.

Really wouldn't want to mismatch.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

5. gieffe22

gieffe22 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi all...new owner for 704gw here!

6. spudstone

Reputations:
    My Amazon UK model came with 2 X Samsung 8GB 2600Hz sticks.

7. gieffe22

gieffe22 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    i have only 1 stick x16 from samsung

8. Oddyman

Reputations:
    Hey!

I got a question about laptop cooling pad for Asus GL704GW. Does it actually need one?
    I read somewhere, cant remember where, that cooling pad is making it worse for the laptop to cool... Is that true or just alot of bs?

9. spudstone

Reputations:
    Seems it's hit and miss with getting dual channel.

10. spudstone

Reputations:
    The 8750H runs hot in every laptop I've seen.

I came from a GS65 (very thin and light), which had an MSI implemented 90c throttle. With -150mV on CPU, it barely throttled in cinebench (occasionally a tiny bit), and in games it ran around 80c. Which was fine... (Also worth noting this was single channel, and maybe bottlenecked the CPU a little) AND only ran a 1070MQ.

Now, I expected the GL704 to manage thermals much better due to larger size&thickness. Asus allow the 8750H to hit 95c before throttling, and as stock it hit this without much trouble. Repaste with Kryonaut, dropped temps maybe 5c, but still have throttling issues. This CPU will only manage -70mV (luck of draw). With undervolt and repaste, I barely get any throttling, CPU pushes low 90c in Apex/BF5, and occasionally spikes to 95c with small undervolt. (This is a combined load with a 2070 non-mq GPU, which has shared heatpipes, and I am seeing higher CPU temps in game than with cinebench alone) This is with dual-channel RAM, which may push CPU a little harder, and gain a few centigrade. Interestingly though, I THINK Asus allow for a larger power draw from the CPU. In game, I regularly see 40W+ continuously, and when it does throttle cinebench scores only drop slightly. (GS65 would drop to 900, whereas GL704 never goes under 1150 or so). I think Asus push more out of the 8750H here, and is in part why the thermal performance appears worse, when actual performance is typically better. Also the shared heatpipes with 2070 pulling 115W will likely be a BIG contributor to high thermals on CPU in game.

Despite not really seeing throttling in game after repaste and undervolt, I am still planning to LM the GL704 as I know this could bring -20c on CPU and GPU. Main benefit here will be fan noise reduction, along with knowing it will never thermal throttle.

Now, to get to your question.
    1. As stock, you absolutely will get thermal throttling.
    2. With undervolt/repaste or a combination of both, you will likely eliminate all but some very occasional throttling.
    3. LM and you're laughing.
    4. Cooling pad will likely only help out a few degrees compared with sitting the laptop on a hard desk. Relative to points 2 and 3, a cooling pad will provide very little benefit.
    5. Cooling pad effectiveness depends on the cooling design and airflow of the laptop chassis. If a significant amount of air intake is taken from beneath the chassis, it should help with this.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019