Asus Scar II - GL704GW, i7 8750H, RTX2070, 144hz

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by cloudpm, Feb 3, 2019.

1. Tikerz

Tikerz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    If you go into device manager > firmware > system firmware, right-click and update. It will download v303 and upon reboot will flash it. I don't know what the changes are but it flashed fine on mine.

BTW, I cannot even undervolt -100mv without crashing. On my MSI GS65, I can undervolt the same chip -185mv. Luck of the draw I guess.

2. Tikerz

Reputations:
    I just picked this up at Fry's Electronics this morning. They where doing their 20% off everything to the first 40 people in the door. So before tax it cost $1680. Super deal.

I also picked up another 16GB stick for dual channel. It definitely does make a difference. 3DMark scores went up after installing the RAM.

First impressions are good. The fans are much quieter than my GS65. Out of the box CPU temps were hitting 90-95C. I just finished applying liquid metal and CPU temps are maxing out at 75C. GPU temps between 65-70C. The screen is nice and bright. I also have a bit of light bleed at the bottom on the black boot up screen. It doesn't bother me though.

In Firestrike I'm getting 17200.

3. Chocolate_Ch3rry

Chocolate_Ch3rry Newbie

Reputations:

So question for you and anyone else who is repasting. Are you just doing a repaste on the cpu/gpu? What about those VRM chips covered in factory paste? Are you just ignoring it and slapping it together, or using thermal pads or?? I own one and just put in 2x8gb sticks and a 970 pro. It's stupid fast and I love it. It's not bothering me, but the temps do hit 95 CPU and 85 GPU while gaming. So obviously if I can get them down, I'll happily do a repaste and I'm going to undervolt it when I get home.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
  4. Tikerz

Reputations:
    Well, I just re-spread the factory paste on the VRMs and put it back together.

5. Andriisev

Andriisev Newbie

Reputations:
    That's what I always wondered, why bothering with thermal pads when you can repaste the whole thing with some MX-4 directly.

Nevertheless, I've spent two months researching laptops and decided to buy a desktop in the end)). Cause I want that 4k144Hz monitor real bad, which can't be had with laptops. And it turned out that I don't really need to be that mobile and my machine will stay at my house 99% of time.

But regarding the laptop choice these temps drop from 95 to 75 would have made my mind finally and I'd choose gl704gw. But what regarding the noise levels? Are you still hitting 55dB with all of that LM repaste done? For me it has really been Helios 500 vs GL704GW, with helios having gtx1070 and still hitting better scores due to way superior cooling solution.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
  6. Tikerz

Reputations:
    I always turn the fans up on max when I game and the fans aren't actually that loud to me. They're not high pitched like the ones on my GS65. The cooling on the GL704 isn't the best. IMO it needs more heat pipes and better fans.

undervolter0x0309 likes this.
  7. Oddyman

Oddyman Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My 2 cent.

Got asus rog gl704gw
    For playing Gta 5 for about 20 min, i got my Cpu temp up to 99°c. Probably bad pasting from factory or...?
    And also when cpu was at those temp. it trottled to around 2.8GHz.

Any advice?

8. Chocolate_Ch3rry

Chocolate_Ch3rry Newbie

Reputations:
    Get rid of it. I gave up and returned mine. EVERYONE is having thermal issues. You should NOT have to repaste and undervolt just for the PC to operate normally. After my repaste and undervolt it was fine, It did not throttle. However temps would hit a spike on a couple cores about 91c, normally would hang in the upper 80s on the CPU. The GPU stayed in the upper 70s lower 80s. Prior to the repaste it thermal throttled constantly. CPU would stay at 95c and GPU would be upper around 89c.

9. Oddyman

Oddyman Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well the problem with return is, that i missed first 14 days for return in Mediamarkt... First 14 days that i bought it, i didnt actualy use it to much, so couldnt see that thermal pooping. But now yikes! So is there a way i can return it even after quite 1 month? BTW my is already on warranty/service, mainly because of the thermal issues and other things. Im sure it will take atleast 2-3 weeks to get it back (stupid as it sounds).
    No idea how to do it now...

And this:
    couldnt agree more with you, i mean its like to buy a 300 HP car, but the first few corners you make, those HP go back to 200, ohh yeah thats all normal! (comparing to thermal trotteling)

God damn it im a bit pissed now...and idea how to get rid of the laptop and get money back? :/

10. Chocolate_Ch3rry

Chocolate_Ch3rry Newbie

Reputations:
    I purchased mine through Amazon. So I was covered on the return. If returning isn't an option. Then you only have two.
    1. Do an RMA with Asus. This can take awhile.
    2. Do a repaste and a undervolt. I found Throttlestop to work perfectly. You can find some good videos on using it. This will correct the issue until they hopefully push out new bios/software updates to hopefully address the issue one day. Dont hold your breath though.

Just know, and you CAN verify this with Asus. I was told via chat with a rep regarding my thermal issues for options to correct it. They told me doing a repaste will NOT void your warranty. UNLESS you damage the PC. As long as it boots like normal etc they will honor the warranty still. I would recommend talking to one via online chat, so you can save a copy of the chat logs. Good luck with it.