Asus Scar II - GL704GW, i7 8750H, RTX2070, 144hz

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by cloudpm, Feb 3, 2019.

1. hexaae

hexaae Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    What's your AIDA64 Extreme "System Stability Test" result? Do you have some CPU Throttling in the first 60 secs? And what's max temp reached for you during test (see Statistics tab)?
    Remember to flag every stress option except: Stress local disks.

https://www.aida64.com/downloads (ZIP portable versione available, unpack and run)

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  2. hexaae

Reputations:
    You said in some of your early posts you have B173HAN04.0 AUO409D (?). This explains why you can't see ghosting like with AUO B173HAN03.2 (AUO329D)

3. praetorianx

praetorianx Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Also stated that it’s AUO329D on the previous page. So...Not sure what he said.

4. praetorianx

Reputations:
    How do you like yours so far? Decided to get a 17inch version from them. Quick question: it comes with 16GB ram - you got two stick of ram or one ?

5. cloudpm

cloudpm Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    My bad guys, I do have a 409 not 329... so probably because I didn't have any reverse ghosting.
    I'll receive another one in the next days so I'll make deeper tests.

So far, my only concerns Were the temperatures but I'll use liquid metal so I should get -20°C at least on my CPU.

Yeah mine came With a 16 go ram from Samsung ! so that's pretty sick...

6. praetorianx

Reputations:
    Two sticks of 8GB or one 16?

7. cloudpm

cloudpm Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Answer is bold.

8. Andriisev

Andriisev Newbie

Reputations:
    No worries about LM, it works just fine, but it does have to be reapplied after first 9 months with not too much scratching on the heatsink. The sink will absorb some amount of gallium and will change the color to grey, this is normal, no need to scratch that away or use the sand paper as some guys do, a good wipe with alcohol is fine,the consecutive applications will absorb less and less as the copper will already be plated with gallium. Another thing though is a proper application, that one is easier said than done. This vid is awesome in explaining this . Watch the full video before the application. I reckon since u already bought the 33+ tape then u must have seen the application tutorials already, just dont use too much conformal coating as it may increase the overall socket temps. Apart from that really looking forward to your results, thermals and noise levels.

hexaae likes this.
  9. hexaae

Reputations:
    Those videos where max temp in well cooled desktop systems is between 50-65°C are nonsense for testing paste/LM effectiveness though.
    If you really have to compare different thermal paste or LM you have to do it with temps higher than 75-80°C IMHO (gaming laptops typically).

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  10. MikeTLB

MikeTLB Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I saw you're mentioning No Optimus on your unit. Does that mean the dGPU is always active? I'm asking because I had the GL504GW for a while, and that came with Optimus and allowed the dGPU to switch off with daily use.

As a side note, I found that dual-channel memory makes a big difference in games on the GL504 ( https://www.ultrabookreview.com/25079-asus-gl504gw-scar-review/#a5 ), so I'd reckon it should on the GL704 as well.