Asus Scar II - GL704GW, i7 8750H, RTX2070, 144hz

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by cloudpm, Feb 3, 2019.

1. gieffe22

gieffe22 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    hp seems a real monster even compared to this 2070 full fat...

just for sake of curiosity anyway, the 2070 have 115w tdp, i monitor the gpu with hwinfo e afterburner, and basically it never throttle down designed 115w even when on my laptop it arrive on thermal throttling at 97° (probabbly bad repsating from asus assistance when they changed me motherboard because before i was getting about 7 degrees less). I don't think that's a understimasted charger, because i can game pretty much stable at about 3.4ghz and 115w on 2070. The strange behavior that you had when it loose 20fps seams like you was using silent mode armoury profile, that locks gpu at 75° thermal limiter, and in that case when hit 75° the 2070 throttles to retain that peak temperature. But if you balanced or turbo, it NEVER throttle under the design 115w (1440mhz) even when hit 87° degrees that is the maximum thermal limited of the 2070 bot desktop and laptop.

You can't hit 1900mhz on a mobile gpu, because tdp is as i said 115w, the desktop 2070 hit 1900mhz but at 175watt, and the full fat laptop 115w can't go as high because is limited from vbios, My maximus overclock (that's not real overclock as on desktop pc, this is more a fine tuning of voltages and frequencies thanks to afterburner) is about 1600mhz, basically almost 200mhz more than the 1440mhz that it should peak when there's a 100% gpu core load at stock.

How you mod vbios on hp? it's an easy thing that can be done on all rtx laptop?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
  2. JCordero31

JCordero31 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I liquid metal both gpu and CPU and undervolted and overclocked gpu. I put fujilopy .5mm thermal pads on all vrm areas covered by the paste the company put Temps stayed at 75c max on both and cpu always hit it's intended 4.015ghz do to temps. I used throttle stop and it told power limit was a indicator of throttling. I blamed the power supply because even though its rated at 230watts you never get that full rating max you'd probably get is 90% efficiency which is around 200watt. Board alone will eat 40 to 60watts plus GPU 115watts plus CPU which if it stay at it's intended 45watts you'd hit a minimum of 195watts but CPU never stays at 45w. 330w plug would lift that issue. Nothing would starve for power.

The mod for the hp works because it comes with a 330w power supply. The 2080 is rated at 150w but can be modded to take 180 to 200 depending on what you want. I opted for the 190w it's a balance when sharing power with the CPU which allows my 9880h to hit its 4.6ghz on all clocks without it throttling since again I put liquid metal on both CPU and GPU undervolted them both and overclocked gpu. Plus the heatsink on this hp is no slouch. The mod was very easy to do. As the instructions are on here on this forum.

3. M1ch4L

M1ch4L Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everyone.
    I am new here on the forum and unfortunately my first comment about this product is not very positive. I switched from ROG G73SW, used it approx 9 years almost without problems ... so the feeling from the first touch of this performance and speed was something magical ... only one disturbing thing was the noise from the fans on full load, but after some reading on the web I found out that at this price range/1790euro/ was nothing better at that time. I bought the GL704GW on 7. 31. last year, after a week I installed the second 16GB RAM from Crucial, 1 TB WD Blue SSD and of course I bought one headphone a ROG Delta ... after cirka 3 weeks of use it started to make problems, the left fan was randomly shooting up from zero to maximum RPM even in silent mode without any load and that all beside of 36 C degree of the processor and the rtx2070 card was turned off ... so there was no reason to increase the cooling.
    Must say I like keep up to date the PC software, I installed every time new drivers etc. ... so I started to roll back everything , one by one, nothing helped. Restored, installed the windows from the hidden partition with old drivers helped for a while, 2 days maybe, but the problem came back. That was a sign, the problem is in hardware ... but man never knows for sure ... After all I dismonted the RAM , SSD , ... put it back, ... not helped ... again new updates was released, installed but the same situation so from old original 302 BIOS I was going straight to the 308 version and tadaaa what a wonder again nothing changed, after a few hours of use was everything the same ... with time it was worst, the left fan was non-stop on top RPM even if I was only in the BIOS ... on the web I found Info that if the fan connectors will be only reconnected it helps so after I did that for 2 weeks had no problems and again back in the chaos of high speed rpm ... so after time I sayd enough, let´s try RMA ... I get back my notebook after 1 week. Taked out from the box and started to read the RMA protocol ... shortly: We checked the notebook but the problem was not showed up, everything is in norm.
    Ok? They reinstalled the windows and thats all ... so the first day I get NB back is the problem here again,yes only after a few hours of use ... now I made some videos about that and this way I have evidence what I can left on the desktop for the next RMA haha

4. M1ch4L

M1ch4L Newbie

Reputations:
    How are you gieffe22 and how it is with your notebook battery problem? It is solved now?

5. Khafra

Khafra Newbie

Reputations:
    I had similar issues with my 8750 version. I had lm on processor, kryonaut on gpu and aplhacools .5mm thermal pads on vrams and mossfets around the cpu and gpu. Machine seemed to have decent temps, so no warning on temps and yet fps would plummet on graphically intensive games. At first i thought that it must be power limit that the machine is reaching, but after awhile i started thinking that maybe the problem is on the vrams and mossfets. so i opened the machine an lo and behold some of the thermal pads on mossfets and vrams were parched and dry, while some where like brand new. It seems that the cooling unit is not truly even and so on some parts contact with pads and cooler is only partial, and so air gets on these pads and causes them to dry. Incidently if the contact is not good, the memory gets really toasty as does the the mossfets and that is the thing that caused throttling on my machine. After i swapped k5 putty to all vrams and mossfets and swapped to gelid extreme on the gpu(its much more suitable to laptops than kryonaut since it´s really solid compared to kryo witch is bit too watery for laptops imo) + kept the lm on cpu all the stuttering and lag spikes have been gone. Temps are awesome and the machine runs "relatively" quiet. Gelid even seemed to drop the temps on gpu by couple of degrees down.

So long story short if you have pads on these machines I´d swap em out and get k5 instead, its dirt cheap, works really well and must be easiest **** to put on computer, just goop plenty of it on machine and it does the job + you can reuse it if you need to do it.

6. gieffe22

Reputations:
    no man, still problematic, i'm living with it just to avoid to resend laptop in assistance for another 3 weeks (here in italy they are slow). I kept chargin to 100% when i know that i have to use battery instead of using the left percentage that i had before sleeping

7. gieffe22

Reputations:
    this is the only problem that never come out on mine unit, stock with stock paste. It's pretty hot (95 on cpu and 87 on gpu at stock without undervolt both), but it's NEVER throttling on heavy duty games (probably because asus use that paste from factory on vrams and mosftetss instead of pads)

8. Khafra

Khafra Newbie

Reputations:
    Yea i think that is the reason they put that goop on the machine, guess they figured that they can´t make straight cooler :D. You really have had bad luck on yer unit, this stuttering and bad thermals/loud noice has been the only issue with my unit so far, but at least for last 4 months the system has been running really well. Alltough if I had knew this ahead of time I would have waited for omen 2080 variant that was on sale during summer for "measly" 2k on amazon, got my friend to buy that version and it has been awesome straight from the box.

9. JCordero31

JCordero31 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

Welp I winded up returning the omen lol I had bad luck the mobo died after having for little over 1 week. B&h has been great. I now have a g703gx (will receive it by friday) from asus with a 8950hk on it and a full fat 2080. It uses 2 power brick =/ not happy about that but the unlocked CPU is nice. I'm not happy about the LCD panel it's not thin bezzeled.. I gonna see if I can achieve 5ghz all core! Lmao.

10. praetorianx

praetorianx Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Had same problem. Local service center ordered new fans three times before it got fixed. Fans/connectors I was told is the problem. Good luck man! Make sure your next lappy is not Asus, cause they are horrid.