Asus Scar II - GL704GW, i7 8750H, RTX2070, 144hz

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by cloudpm, Feb 3, 2019.

1. gieffe22

gieffe22 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    sorry guys if i was lacking here... my 704gw is on assistance by 1 week as i said sometimes ago, waiting for repair parts (so slow this process of part sending on asus here in italy). I hope it comes back next week.

2. gieffe22

Reputations:
    bad news here... so my laptop come back from assistance, they changed battery but the problem is still here. I think that's the motherboard that have some problem hidden somewehere, that manifest in this form with battery problem (some sort of excessive need of watts that kills the battery or maybe some bad restitor).

Now i'm again in contact with asus support, trying to diagnostics what's going on, but i think that they have less knowledge than me because they want only a battery ricalibration (on a NEW battery that do same behavior of the old one LOL) and battery report to analize it.

What a mess... i'm done with asus. They changed 2 motherboard on last april 2019 (after only 1 month from the buy of the laptop) because even the replace part was damaged (and i think that the mobo here is still faulty somewhere), they took laptop out for 1 full month at the time; now they changed battery for this new problem, and they took laptop for 2 full weeks, without solving NOTHING.

This is insane for a 2700 euro's of laptop (i buyed it on sale at 2000 euro's, it was the cheapest 2070 when i buyed), worst assistance ever. Horrid. I hope that this goes well but probably i'm stuck with a laptop with a faulty mobile experience.

3. gieffe22

Reputations:
    End of story:
    asus analized my battery report and for them 55% drain in 8 seconds is just "normal, depends by conditions of the sw needs". What a sheep that person is!

So, i'm tired to go on on this, can't resend laptop on assistance and stay out for another month because i use this for work, not only for gaming...so i will stay with a faulty experience. Fortunatly i use laptop on AC most of the time, so should not be a big problem for most of the time of my use...but what a bad tecnicians here on asus italy, horrid story.

4. JCordero31

JCordero31 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    For those of you who would like to lower your temps on the GPU side of things with lm. Please this mod it's simple and easy. PLEASE DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN AS YOU COULD CRACK YOUR MOTHERBOARD. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE YOU MY CAUSE BY ELECTING TO DO THIS MOD.

Use the paperclip mod used on clevo laptops only on the GPU side!!! It worked for me max temps for me on GPU side is around 70c with lm applied and thermalpad 0.5mm running at 1600 to boosted 1900mhz with 800mhz memory oc. CPU dont pass 72 on full load at full turbo speed 4.1ghz!

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
  5. gieffe22

Reputations:
    and don't like LM on laptop cause of liquid spoilinq and possible corrosion of the heatsink (is by far demonstrated that after 6 to 12 months on LM the heatsink is slightly to highly corroded). Honostly i think that the best solutions here is by far using the best non conductive paste on the market (kryonaut, or GC extreme, phobya and so on) plus good thermal pads instead of this white mess that come stock from asus.

But, just for curiosity what is paperclip mod? where to find?

6. JCordero31

Reputations:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...ctive-cooling-mod-for-p775dm2-p775dm3.803626/

7. gieffe22

Reputations:
  8. JCordero31

Reputations:

I actually returned my laptop. The power limit is too low. I got me a cb0090nr.

9. gieffe22

Reputations:
    power limit of what? cpu or gpu?

10. JCordero31

Reputations:
    Both I noticed in my throttle stop and during gaming. My processor would drop speed and my GPU would up clock then my GPU would down clock and my processor would up clock but during these few seconds this happen my fps would drop in any game even wow to 12 to 20 fps!. That 230w power brick in my opinion isnt enough unless the board itself is probably power limited. I even had my CPU and GPU undervolted. CPU was undervolted 65mv and my GPU was at 1000mv GPU would hover 1945mhz and CPU would hit 4015mhz and was uber cool at 65-75 heat wise and my GPU would hit up to 77. They should have went with a 330w. Anyways I went with the hp cb0090nr after a return on the other hp because the 90nr was put on special for the same price as the 50nr. It has a 9750h (4.5ghz) And a full fat 2080rtx that I modded the vbios for 200w! Stays nice and cool and i never hit power or thermal limits. I super happy. It costed me 800 more bucks then the scar but it's all I need plus I got it with a 3 year extended warranty included that covers accidents. I got the scar for 1100. With a 2070 in it and a 8750h.