Asus Scar II - GL704GW, i7 8750H, RTX2070, 144hz

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by cloudpm, Feb 3, 2019.

1. gieffe22

gieffe22 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    if your pc have only 1 stick yes because you are single channel, and bus is too little for this combo of cpu/gpu... if your pc is dual channel don't update, you have already pretty much the max performance that you can achieve from ram except if you run apps or games that needs over 16 gigs

2. julsar

julsar Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    i have just 16gb in a module.. so i will buy another one! :)

3. vesayreve

vesayreve Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I see that makes sense. I guess its the same issue in games like tw warhammer 2. Gpu utilization isnt at 99, cpus are at 80c. Memory bottlenecking. Thats so sad. And we cant do anything about it.

Also I replaced the thermal paste, admit I am a ****ty thermal paste applier since I do it once every 5 years but damn there has been no change at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. gieffe22

Reputations:
    seems that on my 704gw i'm able to undervolt cpu to -125mv on the core, and 80mv on the cache (before i used at 80mv for both)... doing this i'm able to sqeeze another 100 points on cinebench.

stock=2450 r20
    80/80mv=2660-2700 points on r20
    125/80mv=2800 points

This profile SEEMS stable on my machine (i tried 1 hour of gaming and different cpu stress test) but only time will tell if is perfectly stable or not

I already test other voltages, because on my 704 i can't go over 85mv for cache (error or crashed even at 90mv on cache), but on core i can go even over 180mv, but basically i think that this isn't effective because r20 point's is just the same as -125mv...so for security i locked at this freq.

Obviously i never repasted, this is with stock asus paste

5. vesayreve

Reputations:
    I am getting some bsod. Uncorrectable error, equal or less and last one was store data structure corruption. It always happens during light gaming such as lol, hearthstone and not heavy load. I run prime95 for hours with no issue. Idk what to do. Do I undervolt the cpu less aggressive or decrease the curve for gpu? Or is it something else totally? It's always the ntoskrnl.exe that fails. I check it with blue screen view with minidump

6. gieffe22

Reputations:
    try to use laptop temporarly without undervolt and curve, just to ensure that is something related to this.

7. vesayreve

Reputations:
    I downclocked the gpu to 1320 on all volts. It still crashed during playing disco elysium. Is it the cpu then?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. gieffe22

Reputations:
    just use pc without undervolt to exlude that is a hw problem...then if not crash try before only with cpu UV, and then only with gpu UV... if doesnt crash try with both combined UV

9. electricalnoice

electricalnoice Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I am not sure if this is where to post for the Asus Hero 3 G731GW but I did a repaste of mine and wanted to share in case it helps anyone. I did kryonaut and thermal pads. Took me about 3 hours due to having to clean all the goop they put on instead of thermal pads.

Results have been great! Cinebench R20 went from 2500ish to 3000 due to no longer thermally throttling the CPU. In gaming results have been a drop of 10-15 degrees CPU depending on the game. The GPU hasn't dropped as much mainly due to the CPU being more unrestrained and the shared heatpipe I imagine. Still about a 5 degree drop however. IMG_20191216_142952.jpg IMG_20191216_145532.jpg IMG_20191216_145608.jpg IMG_20191216_165501.jpg IMG_20191216_165506.jpg

10. gieffe22

Reputations:
    beautifull work...what brand of thermal pad did you use and which in terms of thickness? I plan to repaste next year my 704gw