Asus Scar II - GL704GW, i7 8750H, RTX2070, 144hz

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by cloudpm, Feb 3, 2019.

1. joejjeman

joejjeman Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    In RDR2 i get 90 degrees in balanced mode.. but i hate the noise so i will try 3 ghz as you said

Skickat från min CLT-L29 via Tapatalk

2. vesayreve

vesayreve Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I thought benchmarks were enough for stable gpu voltage curve. I was wrong. Whenever i started playing outer worlds the game would immediately crash. Thought it was due to cpu turns out i had to decrease clocks for voltage. Even a 5 mhz decrease made games playable. But after couple hours it bsod'd. So another 5 mhz and again.

Not to mention gpu throttles at 86C anyway. It hovers around 1550 due to thermal limits. I really wanted to push to 1600 :(

Also is it possible to make keyboards white and the led strip rainbow?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. vesayreve

Reputations:
    I set league to be played using integrated graphics. 144 fps stable. Would recommend. No need to use rtx which would also prevent screen tearing. And you can actually play without using headphones/hearing jet engine.

4. gieffe22

gieffe22 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    well of course IGPU let pc run cooler, 5-10 watt if i'm not wrong vs 115 watt of rtx 2070. Using IGPU is the best choiche for apps and older games. I use rtx only for photoshop and games (newer ones are out of intel gpu possibility by far ahahah, and some titles are challeging even for the 2070, like red dead or other heavy games)

5. vesayreve

Reputations:
    I think this is a great laptop at this price thanks to rtx 2070. Why isnt more people talking about it? You buy rtx 2060 at a higher price and 9750h is not worth it at all. 5

Did anyone try changing thermal paste, is it hard? Worth it? I have arctic silver 5 but I used it first like 5 years ago. Do the thermal paste "expire" ?

6. gieffe22

Reputations:
    i think that few people atually know that gl504 and 704 GW have FULL spec rtx 2070... many persons think that are all max q versions, so i think they buy the cheapest one they find or the pretty ones... actually this 704 is the perfect laptop (should be perfect if this had optimus switchable with gsync as zephyrus and a bigger battery, 80+ wh instead of the good 66wh, removing the ancient hdd bay for a second m2 drive and using the space for more WH on battery).

The only thing i literally hate about this laptop is wsad keycaps white (but i think that should be replaceble with normal ones buying on the web and removing carefully) and the camo thing on palmrest, if this was only fake carbon like the left side should be MUCH better.

7. gieffe22

Reputations:
    today i just opened my 704 after 5 month to clean the dust... well there's a fair bit of dust especially near the fans, seems that i gained 1° compared to before. Is not a game changer but even 1° is a good revenue for a free clean

8. vesayreve

Reputations:
    I actually use the hdd bay lol. I just need storage. Even 1tb is good enough.

The non white white backlight bothers me more than transparent wsad keypads i think. Like rainbow effect looks cool but it distracts me too much. So I use static white. But its not really white since it is done by blending all colors, especially on the edges.

They always do weird gamer tricks but most of them is stupid. The led stripe is genuinely good though.

Can cpu be bottlenecking rtx 2070 monstrosity? I keep close track of gpu stats and while playing fallen order at ultra setting the gpu utilization is like at 60-80% while there is clear room for improvement in terms of fps. But cpu thermal throttles. I am also using custom voltages if it matters. Gpu reaches the power limit faster than thermal limit. Surprising and good.

Also i ran prime95 for hours with no crush but a simple unpack bsod' me. I think its due to single core? I had to reduce undervolt cpu by 2.

My thermal paste should arrive soon. Looking forward to those paste.

9. gieffe22

Reputations:
    i'm playing too fall order...is not the cpu to bottleneck the gpu, it's the ****ing ram speed's that bottleneck both cpu and gpu in many unreal 4 games... unfortunatly that chipset doesnt support 3200mhz, that are needed to unleash more fps when cpu and gpu both work over 60-80 fps... our luck is that in the majority of cases 2666mhz are good enough to let games run at 80-110 fps.

I have the confirm in shadow of tomb raider, i have 86 fps maxed out 1080p but gpu bottleneck is only 77%, and cpu doesnt work hard, so the culprit is the ram... i have no problem because i'm a 60fps gamer, i prefer resolution over fps, when i can force games at 2k it's a glory for eyes (many engine can go internal resolution higher than the monitor ones) or when i play 4k on my 55 inch tv...

10. julsar

julsar Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi!
    Newbie here.
    If i add 16gb more, can it help in games fps?