Asus Scar II - GL704GW, i7 8750H, RTX2070, 144hz

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by cloudpm, Feb 3, 2019.

1. hexaae

hexaae Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  2. hexaae

Reputations:
    BTW, repasting voids warranty AFAIK...

3. RMXO

RMXO Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hence why you get it done by a reseller / system builder shop.

4. cloudpm

cloudpm Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I haven't noticed any reverse ghosting on my screen (it's a 144hz panel AUO239D).

The only ghosting I have is 3 halos from the bottom of the screen on a black background.
    Yes there is a sticker on one screw that says "void warranty if removed".

Anyway, this is completely BS from Asus since their thermal paste job is a real joke. Before repasting, I also had so much thermal throttling.

5. hexaae

Reputations:
    Please, can you check carefully the inverse ghosting issue? It is more noticeable with a white background (sky, fog scenario etc.) and rotating camera at a moderate constant speed… Hard to see in some games. Some users didn't notice it at all (but was present) until someone else or a friend showed it… it's a minor defect but still annoying (especially for some users, like those very sensitive to 30fps jerkiness) and all GL703GS users reported it sooner or later. It would be really interesting if absent on GL704 with the same panel since most people say it's an overdrive issue (in the panel itself so a different HW shouldn't change that)...

https://www.blurbusters.com/faq/lcd-overdrive-artifacts/ (Ghosting explained. Inverse ghosting generates a dark trail…)

Mmmh, I'm afraid here in Italy it won't save you from warranty void: only the ASUS official repair lab is allowed to do it (and there is only one centralized lab in Italy where all RMAs go). That's what ASUS customer care told me.

6. cloudpm

Reputations:
    Ok I'll make a more intensive check once I receive my new one.
    I decided to return the previous one because the ghosting were actually worse than I thought at night (3 spots on a black background).

I also ordered :
    - Grizzly Liquid Metal
    - Scotch Thermal tape 33+
    - Thermal Pads
    - Conformal Coating (Jet 7361 for isolation)

I'll let you know the results in a week (ghosting, reverse ghosting and temperatures with Liquid Metal).

7. hexaae

Reputations:
    You mean screen bleeding ;)

Great. I ordered new Noctua NT-H2... seems equal to Kryo thermal paste. I don't like the LM idea because I've read it can be corrosive on long run (after months being applied. There are also videos on YT), even though is known to be the most effective in cooling solution.

8. cloudpm

Reputations:
    Yup I meant screen bleeding ;)

About corrosion, it is on aluminium heatsink but obviously no issue for copper ones (most of heatsinks are made of copper).

9. hexaae

Reputations:
    Also copper pipes can be a bit corroded… see on YT "liquid metal corrosion". Probably heat-sinks are never 99.99% pure Cu++ and there is always some gallium oxidation

10. RMXO

RMXO Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If you haven't bought a laptop yet, talk to HIDEVOLUTION and see if they can help you out. I believe they do international shipping but ask to be sure.

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk