Asus Scar II - GL704GW, i7 8750H, RTX2070, 144hz

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by cloudpm, Feb 3, 2019.

1. gieffe22

gieffe22 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    guy's if you talk about coil whine don't do any rma because is just intel with last couple of gen processors that have done this orrible noise... i had coil on my last 4 pc (that you can read under my comment). Strange thing is that on my 704 after mobo replaced on assistance seems that coil is not present or at least is much much lower than before to the point that is almost inadible in most cases but i'm not sure...

anyway be carefull with audio updates, because that freakin laptop have 3 things on audio side: 1 realtek driver (that don't do any problems with updates), 2 sonic studio driver (that thing with lastest version from microsoft store caused me INTENSE LAG with many application, for this reases i just disabled sonic studio, but i miss the good equalization that this offer), 3 nahimic service (the bridge beetween sonic studio and driver)

2. vegetaeater

vegetaeater Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    For anyone who's interested, I've managed to keep fan noise down by doing the following:

- undervolting to -140mv
    - setting the multiplier to 31 (so it turbo's to 3100 MHz)
    - setting fans to manual mode
    - setting fans to 57%
    - editing windows 'high performance' power plan and setting the 'minimum processor state to 5%'

I'm floating somewhere between 84 - 89 degrees for both CPU and GPU while playing Rage 2 at ultra (roughly 100 fps).
    Fans spin around 4500 rpm each.

I'll likely repaste within the next week or two and see if it makes much difference.

3. joejjeman

joejjeman Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Now my laptop fu**ed up totally... the laptop works but the performance is very very bad... get 22 fps ih Unigine Heaven was 117 before.. passmark 4700 /not tested but on pair with a GTX1050. also bench in assassins creed odyssey on ultra is now 13 and 56 before... what can happend? no artifacts or so.. even a new install didnt get it better... im really tire
    d of this ****top.. by far the most expensive i bought and by far the laptop with most problems.. all the time! now i have to send it back to asus =(

4. gieffe22

Reputations:
    probably you have something wrong from the beginning, this is the reason why "silent mode" doesn't work in your pc... is not a armoury fault as i explained to you, maybe is just a hardware fail and the silent mode not working is just a symptom of this...

5. joejjeman

Reputations:
    Even a clean install didnt get it better.. tried 3 times.. also see that its not getting "hot" anymore just reach around 60 degrees on cpu and gpu..doesnt matter which mode i try with armoury crate installed or direct after a clean install.. first i thought armoury crate just ****ed up things again but even after a clean install i cant get the laptop to perform..

So when i send it back does it matter that i have changed the 1tb harddrive to a ssd ? I think in worst case they send me a new laptop and dont get it back.. the orginal 1tb drive did i put in another laptop that i sold

Skickat från min CLT-L29 via Tapatalk

6. gieffe22

Reputations:
    armoury or not here i think it's not the problem... hw fault is the problem (thhis is the real reason why armoury modes justt doesnt seems to work on your pc), you can't fix hardware fault with a format. For hard drive i think that should not be any problem, but i think it's better to call asus and ask them, because when i sens mine to rma they told me to mount again hdd (i use ssd too in place of hdd) because if you send with a replaced ppart probably they will replace this parts with a stoock one (so you will lost your ssd)

7. joejjeman

Reputations:
    What happend if i send it without the extra hdd?

Skickat från min CLT-L29 via Tapatalk

8. joejjeman

Reputations:
    Noticed that gpu voltage is 675mV all the time... whats the normal values ?
    also Vram usage 0% at benchmarking ..

Last edited: Aug 1, 2019
  9. gieffe22

Reputations:
    much higher, even higher than 800mv (don't remember the exact value)...

for hdd i don't jnow, you have to ask to asus support on chat or on a call...

10. rituj_b

rituj_b Newbie

Reputations:
    I am a new owner of GL504GW. And repasted CPU with conductonaut and GPU with kryonaut.
    Undervolted CPU core and cache.
    Spent the whole day yesterday optimizing the GPU Voltage-Frequency curve in MSI afterburner.

After all these optimizations, I must say the time and effort were well spent.
    The performance and temperatures are really good.

Timespy 7722 score (Graphics:7916 CPU:6785) https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/36676024

CPU sits at 79 deg Celcius
    GPU sits at 79 deg celcius
    At an ambient temperature of 41+ deg Celcius

Also, I got a White Carbon skin from ALIexpress and I must say it looks DAMN SEXY!! ( https://photos.app.goo.gl/YE2yYmk629hQfz6f8 )

Also, I spent a whole day tweaking the GPU voltage curve. So if you want it, I can share it with you. However it might not be stable on your GPU even though it is on mine.