Asus Scar II - GL704GW, i7 8750H, RTX2070, 144hz

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by cloudpm, Feb 3, 2019.

1. joejjeman

joejjeman Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

doesnt helped me.. fans still runs at 5-6000 in silent mode at 40 degrees but shows 0 in armoury crate up and down

2. YaHuZz

YaHuZz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    ok, so i made some tests... the laptop seems to be ok. No issues, freezing o artifacts while playing... all problems seems to be when the monitor is connected. i see "micro-freezings" at regular intervals, so i tought it could be due to the cable...
    i switched from display port to hdmi (about this: which is better to use between DP and HDMI?) but nothing changed...
    so i tried to change some video settings in the game but nothing changed...
    then i tried to play with frequencies, but i actually don't know what i'm doing! i tried to force gpu and monitor at same Hz. First 60Hz, then 144Hz... but... nothing changed!
    I start thinking that connecting a monitor to this laptop is not good :( why the hell i had buy a 21:9 gaming monitor if i cannot use it!

Anyone in here who has a monitor connected to the laptop?
    but mostly: any idea on how to solve this?

3. YaHuZz

YaHuZz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    i'll try it! thanks!

4. gieffe22

gieffe22 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Today i just received my 2 row of ram, finally dual channel (32gb 2666mhz). Fps in games are just almost doubled, from 60-90 (average 70-80) to 100-140 (average 110+), wow.

5. gieffe22

Reputations:
    Well you have REALLY test to other monitor to exlude an hardware problem at this point because i use my 704 connected to my lg 55' 4k via display port and have no artifacts at all...

6. vegetaeater

vegetaeater Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    What actual RPM do you generally see in balanced mode?
    I just bought one of these as there was a super deal on eBay.... but I've been doing some reading and it seems this thing has awful cooling.
    My MSI GT62VR w/ GTX 1070 in high performance / sports mode maxes the CPU fan at 2000 rpm and the GPU fan at 3100 rpm.
    Anything over 4000 is kinda ridiculous in my opinion.

Sure hope a repaste and undervolt keeps it under that range.

7. gieffe22

Reputations:
    this is pretty different fan than GT ones... are pretty thin, as the entire laptop... the new fans mounted on msi GE, GS, GL, acer predator, triton, razer blade are basicallly like the ones used on asus 704-504 series... those things spins at about 5000-6000 rpms when under load... only way to use low profile is silent but of course is toned down on cpu and gpu.

GT is a 4cm's laptop, not a 2.5... a single fan is pratically double the thickness of this...

8. vegetaeater

Reputations:
    Fair enough, although the Aavid Thermalloy fans in the MSI GT62 don't seem particularly thick.

9. gieffe22

Reputations:
    well...i see the gt62 fans on the web and basically are just double or triple the thickness of the 704 and other slim laptops fans, and i think they are even larger than those...

10. vegetaeater

Reputations:
    Ah wow. Okay good to know. Might send this bad boy back and grab a new HP Omen 17-t.
    Really don't need a portable machine, just found it difficult to resist such a good deal :)