Asus Scar II - GL704GW, i7 8750H, RTX2070, 144hz

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by cloudpm, Feb 3, 2019.

1. Random42352

Random42352 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hey, i noticed you have the GL704GV with rtx 2060, could you please save a copy of your firmware and post it here? I used the updated firmware from the Asus driver list and would like to roll-back and don't have a copy saved..

All it takes is downloading GPU-Z and 1 click-save, like here:

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/rnt/rnw/img/enduser/gpu-z.png

Thanks

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
  2. gieffe22

gieffe22 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi guy's... i don't post nothing from a couple of days because my 704gw is dead, and i had to send it on assistance to repair. Motherboard is dead and assistance need to order the new part so i have to wait because the don't have the part at the moment.

This is the first time that a laptop is dead in 2 month from the buy, incredible. I already extended warranty to 3 years for a security purpose. This is not a good signs, but can be just a bad luck.

So...

3. joejjeman

joejjeman Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My Scar is still hitting 92 degrees after repasting with liquid metal.. but before it was 100 degrees.. whats wrong with this computer? why its getting so hot? lots of bios also come out but anyone have made a big difference on heat problems

4. Random42352

Reputations:
    The CPU and GPU share the same cooling system...the RTX 2070 gets really hot so that gets the CPU hot..you can set a thermal limit on the GPU. I know this because the GV version is much cooler and the only difference is that has rtx 2060.

5. ripsa

ripsa Newbie

Reputations:
    Since the GPU & CPU share a cooling system as mentioned above, if I switch the Preferred Graphics Processor to be the RTX 2070 globally in the Nvidia Control Panel (since my laptop is used as a desktop replacement and generally always plugged in), does anyone know if this would increase system temps, have no effect, or decrease them?

6. Random42352

Reputations:
    It would rise idle temps by a bit also would rise load temps when no games are involved (like for example programming work), would not change <game> load and max temps.

7. joejjeman

Reputations:
    thanks..

8. joejjeman

Reputations:
    another weird thing thats annoying is the battery time.. i put it into power saver mode in windows.. set max cpu to 30% in advanced power menu but the battery drain really fast, without gaming just webbrowsing i get max 1h .. in this mode its just a i7 with intel gpu 630 ..

9. gieffe22

gieffe22 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    2 weeks has passed and my 704gw is still on assistance. they said that first repair (new motherboard) was not succesfull (i'm just wordless) and needed to order another new motherboard, i just hpe that this time things go in the right way because this is really strange.

It already was strange the way laptop died (perfectly working when i go to sleep, and finded totally dead at the morning), but now is very strange that even the new motherboard they ordered was faulty...

for my luck and mental sanity i extended warranty with 3 years options, i have a bad feelings about this laptop, i really hope that are not rtx series pretty faulty as happened years before with 8000m series or 6xx (macbook for example)

10. AMironov

AMironov Newbie

Reputations:
    I have the same issue here, but mine GL704GW died in less than 2 weeks.
    No overclock, nothing. All stock.

Just went BSOD while i was watching movie and never booted up again from neither media/storage both internal and external. Every boot from windows 10 installation ISO or anything else resulted in immediate BSOD every time with different error message. Returned the device with full refund.
    I have huge beckground over 15 years with notebooks but have never seen anything like that before.