Asus Scar II - GL704GW, i7 8750H, RTX2070, 144hz

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by cloudpm, Feb 3, 2019.

1. Renato N

Renato N Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Can you tell me if it's the same bios for the GL504GW (15 '')?

2. gieffe22

gieffe22 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    should be the same... try to search for update on windows device manager on firmare section, if there's avaible he weill download automatically and next he ask to you to reboot the laptop and will flash the bios

ripsa likes this.
  3. ripsa

ripsa Newbie

Reputations:
    Is anyone undervaulting/overclocking the GPU, especially if you have yet to do a repaste? I've done the CPU undervault with TS but can only do a very shallow undervault of the CPU and CPU cache at - 51.8 before TS Bench gives me an error.

It's improved thermals hugely and seeing better FPS. Going to try undervaulting/overclocking the GPU now. Seen on the ROG forums people there generally clocking the card to 1900 at .900 v for max performance with best thermals on the stock paste. What are peoples experiences here?

4. gieffe22

gieffe22 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    i just do 2 test with gpu oc... 1 test a simple oc with slider in afterbuner, perfectly stable with 200+ mhz on the core (even memory can be oced but it's useless for now). 2 test i made with curve, in a undervolting way, 1440mhz a 700mv, for cooling purpose on summer, with this profile this baby lose about 4 to 8 fps but tempes are much much lower. Anyway i think that gpu can be stable at about 850mv at 1850mhz, not more.

This baby is a powerfull beast...

ripsa likes this.
  5. ripsa

ripsa Newbie

Reputations:
    Yup that lines up with my testing. I spent the night running different undervault/overclock configurations through Fire Strike. The most aggressive curve being slightly over that hitting just over 1870mhz at 868 mv with the fan profile set to Turbo and my CPU undervault running, got up to 17269 score on Fire Strike but am not convinced it was stable. Didn't BSOD but the Fire Strike demo kept randomly stopping itself occasionally saying the user had cancelled which I hadn't.

Have now left it at the default GPU Tweak II curve before 912 mv and 1900 mhz after which tested ok in Fire Strike repeatedly and in about an hour of regular play testing. Thermals didn't average above 67 / 70 on the CPU / GPU in any of the tested configurations. Going to try running that CPU undervault & GPU undervault curve today with a Balanced fan profile to take some load off the fans for long term every day use and see what difference it makes FPS and thermals wise.

6. ripsa

ripsa Newbie

Reputations:
    Yeah this worked on my GL704GW. Much nicer method than downloading it manually and applying directly via the BIOS from a USB stick. The Asus support site only has up to version 305 anyway so the only way to get 306 is to update via the Windows device manager firmware update afaik.

7. ripsa

ripsa Newbie

Reputations:
    Ok so this is the best Fire Strike Score have been able to get. Throttlestop undervault on the CPU and CPU Cache at -51.8 mv. GPU Tweak II used to undervault/overclock the GPU with flat line following 1900 Mhz @ .912 V and the curve smoothed out on the points before those, had a BSOD when .868 V was at roughly 1850 so had to lower it to 1810 and smooth out the preceeding points accordingly. OSD in the Demo shows Average FPS 45, Av CPU Temp 65 C, and Av GPU Temp 68 C. Fan Boost set to Turbo. Stock paste. Cooling Pad and raised off desk.

[​IMG]

8. Renato N

Renato N Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    [QUOTE = "gieffe22, post: 10915270, membro: 401437"] deve ser o mesmo ... tente procurar por atualização no gerenciador de dispositivos do windows na seção firmare, se houver avail disponível, ele irá fazer o download automaticamente e em seguida ele pedirá para você reiniciar o laptop e vai piscar as biografias [/ QUOTE]
    Obrigado, atualizado para a versão 302

9. Scargal

Scargal Newbie

Reputations:
    I have the GL704GV model. Also suffering from the light bleed at the bottom left. It's fine long as you don't focus on it. There's nothing you can really do. If you use a dark background, you'll always see it. But if you use a background that has multi color or patterns, it won't be noticeable. Or if you use a white background (not recommended for light bleeds). White could increase the light bleed and make things worse.

Otherwise, this laptop is amazing! Just annoyed by the fact that I have to keep using Fn + << or >> to browse through my music playlist. Wish I could do without.

10. joejjeman

joejjeman Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello..
    anyone who knows why i dont have the Firmware section in device manager? i have reinstalled windows so maybe i missed something?