Asus Scar II - GL704GW, i7 8750H, RTX2070, 144hz

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by cloudpm, Feb 3, 2019.

1. gieffe22

gieffe22 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    maximum turbo clock of i7 8750h is 3.9ghz on 6 cores, so you are just perfect. Useless look at those things, probably is just a limit used by asus to run pc at the right temps or a right coded implement of dynamic framework...

2. Ariel M Katz

Ariel M Katz Newbie

Reputations:

Thank you. Would you mind looking up those sensors are HWinfo for you unit just to be sure? :)

The last two questions I have are:

1. under load, I'm sometimes getting a 9-10 degree c temp difference between the hottest and coolest cores. I heard this could be a thermal paste or die defect...is this something I should return the laptop for?

2. Also, my cinebench 15 single core score is 169, whereas the laptop was getting 174 in some of the reviews. Multicore I'm seeing 1219 when someone reported 1279 Is this difference significant?

Thanks! (I have the 15 inch model)

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  3. gieffe22

Reputations:
    all of this is perfectly normal, there's just nothing to check, your laptop is fine

4. praetorianx

praetorianx Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    n/m, it's officialy out

Last edited: May 17, 2019
  5. gieffe22

Reputations:
    Wooo, today there's a slightly bigger update for armoury crate that changed some voices and sections... someone know what do the new "game effect" on aura lightning section? on my unit this does nothing

6. Renato N

Renato N Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Has anyone ever done undervolt? If so, what is the configuration? (throttleStop)

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  7. gieffe22

Reputations:
    WOOOOO, another bios is out, v306, i've already updated by device manager on firmware section.

Don't know the changelog...

8. ripsa

ripsa Newbie

Reputations:
    Yes I have after seeing the awful thermals everyone else is also seeing but not wanting to repaste as not sure how it would effect warranty status here in the UK. I left all the ThrottleStop values at default except for a Performance profile at -51.8 Offset Voltage in FIVR control on the CPU and CPU cache, and -49.8 on the iGPU.

These values gave me zero errors with multiple TS Bench runs at 1024M. It's a very shallow undervault from what I have read of other owners experiences who can get their cards lower with no errors.

Not convinced it's making a huge difference in terms of thermals as under the TS Bench tests the CPU still hits PROCHOT threshold. Though the temp values look ok in monitoring being in the high 40s for idling, high 50s for browsing, and 70s for a less intense game like League of Legends.

Last edited: May 25, 2019
    Renato N likes this.
  9. ripsa

ripsa Newbie

Reputations:
    So just want to check have hit the basic out-of-the-box optimisation steps for a casual gamer happy with the default GeForce Experience settings for games and anything at or above 60 FPS with healthy thermals?

- Make sure BIOS is flashed to latest version.
    - Updated to latest drivers.
    - Disabled McAfee in favour of Windows Defender.
    - Not done clean build but uninstalled everything preinstalled except Armoury Crate, Game Visual (no uninstall entry), MyAsus, Realtek Audio Console, NVidia CP & GeForce Experience.
    - Make sure Turbo is set in Armoury Crate for the Default Profile on AC.
    - Undervaulted CPU as deep as I could with no errors in ThrottleStop bench test 1024M.
    - Have GPU Tweak II set to manual with the GPU Clock at 1440 with a Temp Target of 77 degrees.
    - Panel Overdrive On in Armoury Crate (how does this effect thermals?)
    - Prob not necessary but have run an optimiser tool like Razor Cortex, System Mechanic, Ashampoo, etc to set Windows settings for game performance.

Last edited: May 25, 2019
    Renato N likes this.
  10. ripsa

ripsa Newbie

Reputations:
    What's the best way to update? I flashed to 305 by downloading to a USB stick and installing manually in the BIOS. Should I try updating firmware in the Windows Device Manager this time? Will Windows Update automatically install it at some point for me?