Asus Scar II - GL704GW, i7 8750H, RTX2070, 144hz

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by cloudpm, Feb 3, 2019.

1. gieffe22

gieffe22 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ehy, i created a very simple afterbuner profile for rtx 2070 if you are interested... i've used to do this thing in my old 703vm, here not so much because temps are pretty good. But i want to experiments the margin of tuning and... basically we can lock 2070 to 1440mhz @700mv (actually in my case even 1480-1500, but i want to have a small margin) with a flat curve on profile frequencies.

Doing this basically let the card loose about 5 to 10 fps on games but temperatures are ICE cold, 60° degrees on f1 2018 (60fps) with this profile and cpu locked to 2.6ghz, something astonishing for a lap.

Heaven benchmark goes from 98fps of stock 2070 to 93-94, so not so much.

If guy's you want to test it too, here i uploaded the screenshot of curve profile, and test scan (90% secure, as stock).

[​IMG]

2. gieffe22

Reputations:
    Another curious thing... on asus website, on drivers page, there's a new keyboard lightning firmware (19/04 uploaded)... i already do it but i can't find any changes...

3. Valiran

Valiran Newbie

Reputations:
    Are there any cooling difference between 15" and 17" models?

4. Arondel

Arondel Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    There are some differences in the cooling setup but none that change the end result drastically, as per @pdagal's review at 12:36:

5. gieffe22

Reputations:
    actually there are many differencies not reported in the review of lisa... gl704gw have a totally different amount of throttling curve, in my test it does not throttle NEVER, instead the gl504 throttle much often to 3.4-3,5 ghz to retain good temps

6. pdagal

pdagal Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Both models thermal throttled for us in AAA games at Ultra 1080p, as shown in some of the screen shots of HWINFO64.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
  7. gieffe22

Reputations:
    Anyway...nice review Lisa!!! Actually seem's that can be pretty variability in terms of temperatures beetween those 704-504, because we had 2 704gw, on my unit throttling is pretty non-existent, on my friend there's a bit of throttling. However sketchily seems that 504gw have a more restricted throttling curve respect to 704, probably because of different pipes design and thermal capacity of it.

On my tests throttling begin at about 92° degrees, but for example my 704 with -70mv of undervolt barely reach 90 degrees, maybe cause of single channel ram. When i will upgrade to dual channel i will do more tests, but with some trick temps in games are just desktop like (rtx 2070 at 1440mhz @770mv with flat curve on afterbuner and cpu at 2.6-2.8ghz locked with throttlestope and -70mv), 60-65° degrees at 60fps gaming. Useless to unluck maximum power and let laptop to run hot when we can run with the right amount of power at 20° degrees cooler. But this can be valid for EVERY laptop, and i think that a video about it should be a good way to learn people about.

8. pdagal

pdagal Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Dual channel raises both performance and temps. That's likely the difference.

9. Renato N

Renato N Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Have you compared the wifi with other notebooks?
    My internet is 100MB. And I'm 10 meters from the router. But when I do speed tests with the asus it never reaches 40MB, and when I testo my old notebook (acer helios 300) easily hits 91MB. I tested them in the same position.

10. gieffe22

Reputations:
    You are connected to 5 or 2.4ghz?

I have fiber 200mb, my modem is to the opposite of the house (much more than 20 meters) and i have full output from wireless...so you have a problem with configuration or your specific unit have a faulty wifi card (i doubt)