Asus Scar II - GL704GW, i7 8750H, RTX2070, 144hz

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by cloudpm, Feb 3, 2019.

1. Dastano

Dastano Newbie

Reputations:
    I have a a strange noise, when it getting faster. Like it vibrate or so. Also my Temps going to high 90s and 100 Degree, sadly I cannot undervolt on -0,040 V is the Limit, lower is just freezing/crashing :X

Should I add a Power Limit?

2. iArtur

iArtur Newbie

Reputations:
    Dastano I have the sam problem as you, -0,100 gives me almost immediate blue screen, -0,070 can be stable in stress tests, but games give blue screens, and I was almost sure that I can go with -0,050 and have it stable, tried in Apex Legends, Division 2, Witcher 3... but then I ran Dying Light... and blue sreen :) I stopped playing with undervolting, bad unit I would say.... :(

I also applied liquid metal and both GPU and CPU, and used Kryonaut on rest of the parts... I can't say that I am happy with the results, stressing separately CPU and GPU with "stress" applications gives acceptable results, but gaming.. it is another story... Apex Legends, Division 2, 86 Celsius for both GPU and CPU, and my assumption is that is because of GPU and connected heatpipes, before Liquid metal it was 86C GPU and up to 97 on CPU. I have to outline I am running on Balanced mode in Armoury Crate in 95% cases, sometimes I am switching to Silent, but Turbo is too loud for me

I still wodner how people reach less than 80 with liquid metal on gl704gw :) I have been wondering.. maybe the gap between gpu die and radiator is too big, and liquid metal is not filling the space correctly?

Next time I will try to measure this somehow using some cheap thermopaste :)

and if you wonder, my liquid metal below :)

sorry it is as an link, tried to insert image, but does not work -.-

https://ibb.co/FqQCt2m
    [​IMG]

3. Dastano

Dastano Newbie

Reputations:
    Well most reach 80-85 Degree without any repasting ****. So I guess I just lost. I opened mine and damn there are tons of dirty finger Prints in, also I have this clackering sound. So I asume mine got not propperly asambled. So I maybe try RMA it from Asus, should work I asume?

4. iArtur

iArtur Newbie

Reputations:
    80-85C without repasting - no way :) maybe on Silent Mode :)
    I would not believe this, each test I saw and read online showed the same results as mine (without repasting), up to >95C before temp throttling and actived turbo boost, then stabilized around 90C on balanced mode. I am talking about CPU, in terms of GPU, I did not notice any difference after applying liquid metal... it just warming a bit slower, but still it hits 86C after a while...

ReaceM likes this.
  5. gieffe22

gieffe22 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

actually on turbo mode i have 80- 88 on cpu and 78-82 on gpu on metro exodus (rtx ultra and ultra settings). Some other games are even cooler (dirt 2 75 gpu and 80 cpu) but honestly i play most of the time in silent mode with cpu locked a 3ghz (2070 is pretty oversized for 1080p 60 fps gaming and even with the silent mode underclock is powerfull enough) and i have temps beetween 70 and 80 degrees, depends by game. For example monster energy supercross 2 play 1080p maxed out in silent mode ad 74 degrees with those tricks. In dirt 2.0 with the same trick i used to have 69 to 74 degrees both cpu and gpu

I have stock paste+ -0.70mv undervolt on cpu and -0.40mv on Igpu, stock rtx 2070.

It's totally useless let the cpu boost up to 3.9ghz, because games are made for lower end cpu's, only gpu push the game up to the real framerate. Cpu power come in only when you have to reach 144fps gameplay, but if the tharget is 60' fps 2.6-3ghz is perfect and pc runs quiet and cool.

I suggest silent mode for games not very demanding or well optimized on settings (ultra is often useless), and balanced+ 3ghz lock for heavy games such as metro exodus. I player metro exo in turbo+3ghz at 72 to 76 degrees, both cpu and gpu, is a miracle for a stock pasted laptop.

Probably my unit is lucky in terms of pasting, but i think that with kyonaut or noctua nth2 i can be even lower in temps, but obviuosly is not my priority, i will do when warranty ends.

The only question is wich increase of temps i will have upgrading ram to dual channel...

6. iArtur

iArtur Newbie

Reputations:
    How did you lock your cpu on 3GHz? or you just set limit for 60 FPS?
    You temps will definitely go up after adding memory, I felt this (in a good (fps up) and bad way (temps) :) ), eg in Apex I was reaching max 120 FPS on single channel, and now it is sometime over 200 FPS :), before dual channel I have not seen 90C on CPU....
    and as mentioned earlier.... for GPU, it looks like temps are locked for me :D stock paste, kryonaut, liquid metal... always 86 on balanced, on turbo it is like yours, 82-83... the only problem is I did not check cooler RPM before and after repasting... maybe I see no difference in temps, but the rpms are lower...

another example, on balanced mode, with 60 fps lock in division 2 I had less than 80C

7. gieffe22

gieffe22 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    both ways, i set 3ghz on throtthlestop on multipliers but i think that i will go down to 2.6 in summer because i already tested and there's no fps drops, o if there is is very minimal), and then i lock games to 60 fps on settings or with riva tuner statistics if game has no option to lock framerate.

I will buy the 2 slot of ram in a month probably, then we know if even at 3ghz temperatures goes up or stays pretty low...

8. spudstone

spudstone Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    iArtur, I posted some info on my liquid metal application a few weeks back. I also noticed relatively little difference in GPU temps.

Initially, with poor GPU-heatsink contact (as a result of 1mm thick pads) I did see the GPU spike to 91c very quickly - I believe this is the throttle value for the GPU. After fixing this issue, I see typically around the 80c mark in games, and using AIDA64 with combined CPU&GPU stressing.

This is a result of the shared heatsink with the CPU. With stock paste, the GPU managed fine, but the CPU throttled back, resulting in less Watts going to the heatsink. With both GPU & CPU on liquid metal, the GPU has similar temperatures, but the CPU is now sending more watts into the heatsink.

In Apex, balanced mode = 87 max CPU, 84 max GPU; typically around 80ish CPU 80ish GPU
    In Apex, turbo mode = 83 max CPU, 80 max GPU; typically around 70-77c on both.

I find balanced mode's reduced fan speed causes around 5c higher thermals vs turbo. I play with a headset, so usually just leave this as turbo. That said, no throttling is present in balanced, and I do occasionally use that without any issue.

One thing I have found to have a BIG influence on temps is also the speedsshift EPP setting in throttlestop. This influences how aggressively the CPU multiplier ramps up. With this set to 0/1, the CPU and GPU (as a result of shared heatsink) see increased temps, as the CPU pretty much locks to 3.9GHz. With this set to 128, temps are decreased as the CPU will clock down often in games like Apex, which is primarily GPU bound; this results in better thermals. I have found setting this to around 64 is a nice middle ground for CPU performance and thermals; but do not have quantitative results to back this up. Try it yourself and let me know how it goes.

Also check windows advanced power management settings for Minimum Processor State. Armory always selects the high performance plan in balanced or turbo mode, and windows default for this is a minimum of 100% in plugged-in mode. I am pretty sure throttlestop over-rides this, but worth knocking it down to 5% for peace of mind.

9. iArtur

iArtur Newbie

Reputations:
    thanks Spudstone for your contribution into the topic.

I changed nothing in ThrottleStop, just ran it and as I see I have EPP check turn off, but the number shows 128 on the right.
    In terms of windows mode, yes I know it, I have 100%/100% for minimum and maximum, did you change it?
    Balanced mode, in Apex Legends, CPU is between 3100 MHz and 3400 MHz in my case, and CPU consumes 35W.

Did you undervolt both GPU and CPU?

Update:

I did small tests with Aida 64, Turbo profile in Armoury

Stressing only CPU, memory, etc:

CPU Power: 70 W
    CPU Clock 3,7-3,8 GHz,
    Temp: 78 C
    GPU stays cool

Stressing only GPU (stock clocks):
    GPU Clock: ~1700 MHz
    GPU Temp: 83 C
    CPU Temp: ~85 C !!!!!!