Asus S56CA-WH31 15.6" Ultrabook Teardown, integrated SSD hack, and OS install hack

Discussion in 'Asus' started by MifuneT, Dec 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greediest

Greediest Newbie

Reputations:
    Have you managed to set ssd to original state?

2. eurob5

eurob5 Newbie

Reputations:

would you be willing to replace it with SSD drive for me if i pay you? i have an asus ultrabook with the hybrid drive. i live in Lakewood, ca

Al

3. webroi

webroi Newbie

Reputations:
    I just bought a ASUS S56CA-RSI5N24
    Asus S56CA Ultrabook

Questions:
    1. Can I just remove the 500GB HDD with a new 128 SSD? -- Currently only 33 GB is used out of 500GB
    2. Does it have just one 4GB RAM or 2x 2GB memory Module? Can I just buy another 4GB memory and add in the end slot, if available.
    3. Does it also have the 24GB mSATA SSD? I prefer not to touch the laptop's integrated drive.

Thanks MifuneT for sharing all your knowledge about this ASUS customizations/hacks!

Cheers!

4. disk

disk Newbie

Reputations:
    First of all thanks you for this great thread. It helped me a lot to know and understand my laptop. I have the S56CM with 8GB RAM and Intel i7 and it runs really like a charm. But i have the same problem as i quoted. I installed Windows 7 and now i want to activate cache on the 24GB disk until i replace it with an 120 GB msata disk where i will install the OS. The Intel RST SOftware does not give me the option to activate the acceleration and the ASUS support is so useless - they tld me it would onlx work with the original OEM OS.

Any idea?

5. Greediest

Greediest Newbie

Reputations:
    Unfortunately, no one seems to know the answer. Now, i'm submitting a request to asus support service - we'll what solution they can provide. Did you format your 24Gb cache partition?

6. disk

disk Newbie

Reputations:
    There are two partitions on the 24GB SSD DIsk, one of them is 6GB and marked as OEM and the other is 18GB and i have access to it. I thought to maybe give it a letter and use it for the pagefile....Anyways, i found a howto activate cache
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums...y-step-guide-to-setting-up-SSD-caching-on-Z68

but the same issue...no raid option in bios. In a few days when my payday comes i will buy a msata disk and replace the 24gb ssd with a larger one and move the OS to it.

7. Greediest

Greediest Newbie

Reputations:
    So, here is what Asus tech support advised me to do to restore ssd caching:

1. Update BIOS to the latest version
    2. Install ATK drivers
    3. Install CreateRSTDSK (this will repartition the SSD - in my case it made 4 and 18 gb partitions) See download link below.
    4. Install Intel®Rapid Start Technology Driver
    5. Install ExpressCache. See download link below.
    6. Reboot and run as administrator the Command Line, enter "eccmd.exe –info" to check if everything worked out.

However in my case it did not help. Will try this again later on after reinstalling Windows.

Link to required software

8. wxsim

wxsim Newbie

Reputations:
    how do I retrieve my OEM key from this laptop?

9. Prostar Computer

Prostar Computer Company Representative

Reputations:
    Third party utilities can show you the key found in the registry. However, the key in the registry is from a mass deployment install and not the same as the key embedded in the BIOS. Therefore, I don't believe there is any [simple] way to retrieve it.

10. Rav3n

Rav3n Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for this thread. It proved useful for when I took apart my laptop the other night.

I had wanted to see if I could hack the case in order to use an external antenna that I had bought a few years ago with a 2Wire PCMCA wireless card. Unfortunately, the antenna wires are looped up into the monitor panel.

Anyone know if the internal antenna is good for wardriving?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.