Asus S56CA-WH31 15.6" Ultrabook Teardown, integrated SSD hack, and OS install hack

Discussion in 'Asus' started by MifuneT, Dec 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prostar Computer

Prostar Computer Company Representative

Reputations:
    You can try enabling CSM if you have that option in your BIOS, then run Windows 7 installer.

2. ovexi

ovexi Newbie

Reputations:
    I managed to install Windows 7 on this laptop from a USB stick with no issues. You have to disable secure boot and enable CSM in BIOS. My model is S56CM-SH51-CB (bought at Staples.ca) but I expect the BIOS to be the same for S56CA.

Make sure you install all the necessary drivers for Windows 7 from Asus support website including the ones in the “Other” section in order to clear all the “lemons” in the device manager.

Now, I have to figure out how to enable the SSD caching on the 24Gb SSD drive…

3. dbell

dbell Newbie

Reputations:

Do you try to install Intel RST ?

I think you can enable the SSD caching by installing intel RST

4. ovexi

ovexi Newbie

Reputations:
    I installed Intel RST but there is no Accelerate button to enable caching on the SSD. After more research online I found that you need to enable RAID mode in BIOS for caching to work, option which we don’t have. I wonder how does actually caching work in Windows 8 on our laptops…Anyway I decided to buy an HDD caddy, install an SSD inside and replace the DVD-Rom with it.
    The msata replacement Mifune is suggesting is fine but I already have an SSD lying around and I find it less troublesome this way.

5. elephantgerald

elephantgerald Newbie

Reputations:
    evanigma, I registered with this forum just to respond to you. I bought this exact model laptop last week (arrived Friday) for the sole purpose of putting Ubuntu on it. I'm running 12.04 LTS and typing this on it right now. It can be done.

1. Go into the BIOS and page over to the Security tab.
    2. Select the option "Key Management" toward the bottom.
    3. On that subpage, select the option at the top of the page to delete all boot keys (or platform keys--I forget what it was called).
    4. Escape back out to the main Security page, and now you have the ability to interact with the "Secure Boot State" option. Disable it.
    5. Save changes and exit.
    6. Boot from the CD or USB stick with your ISO on it.

That's all. Runs Ubuntu like a charm. Enjoy!

6. elephantgerald

elephantgerald Newbie

Reputations:
    PS: Thanks MifuneT for starting this thread; it was one of the resources that pointed me in the direction that helped me to figure out how to put Linux on the machine.

7. Da Crocker

Da Crocker Newbie

Reputations:
    I´ve problems with shutting down my Asus S56. A Samsung SSD is installed. Can anyone help me!?

8. mhitchens

mhitchens Newbie

Reputations:
    What GPT attribute needs to be set to put what you outline above back to normal?

9. ovexi

ovexi Newbie

Reputations:
    Just want to share the results after replacing the DVD-ROM drive with a 2nd HDD caddy which I bought on E-Bay. The caddy works fine with both HDD and SSD I tried. Currently I have installed a 500Gb 7200rpm WD black. I was even able to boot Windows from it without issues. In the place of the old HDD I installed a 120Gb Kingston SSD which made the notebook operation very snappy.
    Regarding 2nd HDD caddy, I managed to easily replace the front plate with the one from the DVD drive. Also the front plate from the 2nd HDD caddy installed fine on the DVD drive and I can now use it externally with the appropriate USB to SATA cable.

10. Greediest

Greediest Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everyone!

Just got my s56ca-wh31 and did a clean install of Windows 8 Enterprise. Everything works fine and the laptop looks and feels great! However I did something i regret about during the installation of clean Windows Enterprise - I deleted all partitions via Windows installation wizard. So now I'm not quite sure if 24 gb ssd disk serves as a cache disk.

Here is the screenshot of what I've got now:

screenshot.jpg

Please, advise what should I enable in BIOS or what command do I have to run to enable caching on 24 gb SSD disk.

Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.