Asus S56CA-WH31 15.6" Ultrabook Teardown, integrated SSD hack, and OS install hack

Discussion in 'Asus' started by MifuneT, Dec 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evanigma

evanigma Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you for going into detail here. I especially appreciate your instructions regarding the WIn8 pro install. Am I reading this correctly that you cannot install Ubuntu on this laptop? Has anybody found a workaround?

2. Gelite

Gelite Newbie

Reputations:
    You don't need 2 seperate discs. Just make a ei.cfg with the code from the OP on one install disk. It should be fine.

3. dwfaber

dwfaber Newbie

Reputations:
    Did you ever get a chance to see if an intel adapter would work in place of the atheros .... in order to facilitate widi ? also, this computer didn't come with bluetooth....at least i can't find it and the 'turn on blue tooth" is greyed out out in settings. is there a way to add blue tooth after the fact, other than with a dongle. thanks again for all the help you've put up for this computer.

4. srinitop

srinitop Newbie

Reputations:
    I am interested in this as well! I am a long time linux user and would really like to install Arch Linux if I get this laptop. I'm looking to order today.

5. Da Crocker

Da Crocker Newbie

Reputations:
    I´ve upgraded my S56 with a Samsung 840 SSD 250GB and 2x4GB Corsair DDR3 Ram. Now i´m searching vor a 9,5mm Super Slim Blu Ray Burner and i want use the Arctic Silver 5 to cool down the cpu and the gpu. Can you tell me how i came on this components and do anyone knows a 9,5mm Blu Ray Disc Burner?

6. nyphs

nyphs Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all,
    firt of all i want to thank Mifune for the great guide !!!! i really appretice the work you do ... really .
    I don't wont to remove my 24 ssd but i want to install a normal 2.5 SSD in actual HDD bay, and move the 750 Gb 5400 rpm to a caddy on dvd place. The question is if i can restore the system by the normal procedure (press F9 on boot and do a reset factory default ) or do a fresh new install from a dvd.

Thank you

7. Da Crocker

Da Crocker Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi nyphs,

i use HDClone to copy my HDD to SSD. It works perfect.

8. nyphs

nyphs Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi Da Crocker,
    thank you for tips i will try as soon as my Samgsung 840 arrive ... i hope tomorrow :D

9. nyphs

nyphs Newbie

Reputations:
    ok SSD arrived yesterday.

I make a clone copy with Acronis tool and it work perfect, just on thinks, i had to disabled secure boot ....

Now my system run really fine and i had a lots of space for VM :D

Thank all for support

10. dbell

dbell Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi MifuneT .

Thanks for your great job. It is very useful for us.

Can you give me some advice about how to install Win 7 Pro into this notebook ?

Is it possible ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.