Asus S56CA-WH31 15.6" Ultrabook Teardown, integrated SSD hack, and OS install hack

Discussion in 'Asus' started by MifuneT, Dec 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. teslatradeup

teslatradeup Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,

Do you know of any dependability issues of using the 24GB SSD drive as the primary drive for the OS?

I've been racking my brains trying to install Windows 7 (64bit) on this thing and using the expresscache/Intel rapid start-storage SSD caching.... It just doesn't seem to work as fast as when I install the OS directly on the SSD.

Any suggestions? I don't think I'm setting up the SSD/caching setup correctly. I did disable Fast Boot in the Bios... everytime I try to enable it, Windows can't load....

Thanks.

Martin

2. lifeisfun

lifeisfun Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks OP for all the info and pictures !
    Just purchased this laptop for my wife and looks like it will be great project for me as well :)
    Did you leave the hard drive in the laptop as well or you using only the mSSD drive?

3. raminux

raminux Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    To MifuneT,
    Thanks for the patience to spend time and explain the difficulties anyone would encounter if they needed to boot their system from an external bootable device. I just acquired an Asus UX32VD-DH71 which should share the same UEFI and secure boot implementations with your laptop. I would ideally like to do a clean install of Windows 8.I imagine I should expect same technical difficulties such as yours. However, I see other people talking about doing a clean install without mentioning any complication on the way. For example threads started by EmJayPrice and wmh408 on this forum could be mentioned. I am planning to replace the internal HDD with a SSD and I wonder if I will get into trouble. So I am confused and would like to have a more clear idea of the procedure before starting.

4. MauroS

MauroS Newbie

Reputations:
  5. MifuneT

MifuneT Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    MauroS - That SSD should work nicely, but I would make sure to double check that there are no clearance issues.

raminux - There shouldn't be an issues doing a clean install when changing HDD to SSD. Just the usual/occasional search for drivers after the installation is finished.

lifeisfun - I'm just using the 128GB mSATA SSD only, but if I need more space I'll install an additional drive in the freed up HDD space.

teslatradeup - The 24GB mSATA SSD is a very slow performer. That OEM Sandisk is probably one of the slowest SSD's I've ever used. Granted, it's still quite a bit faster- as far as read speeds- than a regular HDD, but write speeds on the 24GB are not too great.

6. alexpetrucci

alexpetrucci Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello,

I recently bought this also I computer.Io but I have a intel i3 3217U.
    Do you think maybe you can change it with an Intel i5 3317U / 3517U Intel I7? .
    Although I think it is hard to find online.
    I'm sorry for not perfect English! :)

Thank you!

7. MifuneT

MifuneT Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    This is not possible- I think the U designation means Ultrabook and these processors can't be removed or swapped out-- they're microsoldered onto the motherboard help keep a super low profile. I thought of doing the same thing also ;)

8. kiwijuice

kiwijuice Newbie

Reputations:
    Sorry to be late to the party. Just some questions though, is the HDD/board SATA I, II, III? And since the OS is installed on the HDD, would you have to clone that onto any other drive that you may want to use in order to get around the security features of the boot process, or is it tied to the physical HDD?

9. akfabes

akfabes Newbie

Reputations:
    This was a phenomenal thread. thanks. question: have you been able to use widi on this? i tried and tried and was eventually told that it would not work because the wireless adapter is atheros vs intel. any thoughts? thanks.

10. MifuneT

MifuneT Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    You'd need to have the appropriate Intel Centrino wifi adapter to use it. AFAIK, Intel has yet to license the tech to other wireless adapter makers. The laptop has the right cpu and integrated graphics to support it, just not the wifi adapter. I have an Intel Centrino Wifi adapter in one of my other laptops-- if I have some time in the next few days, I'll see if the Asus accepts alternative Wifi adapters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.