Asus S56CA-WH31 15.6" Ultrabook Teardown, integrated SSD hack, and OS install hack

Discussion in 'Asus' started by MifuneT, Dec 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. assamj

assamj Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the great answer!
    Then I'll just order 1x4GB ram extra. Would say that 5 hours is pretty good for the price and the thickness of this notebook. Will definitively order this one before christmas to bring it around when traveling.

2. Blashyrkh

Blashyrkh Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello,
    I would like to ask you a couple of questions:

1. installing the new 128gb SSD, are you able to install the OEM OS on it?
    that is, if I make a pendrive recovery image of the OS (the 16gb one), i'll be able to install the OS from this pendrive directly to the 128gb SSD instead of the normal HD?

2. the SSD in this laptop is used as a chace...which is the option to use it as a normal hard disk? i don't want to use it as a cache partition

3. i would like to install the bluetooth module that is not present in mine laptop...could you tell me where should I install it and where to find a compatible bluetooth module??

Thank you very much!

3. MifuneT

MifuneT Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    1. It's possible to install the OEM factory image if you upgrade the 24GB mSATA SSD to 128GB. If you replace the 24GB with a 128GB the 128GB will appear as a regular drive, so backup, recovery and imaging tools can restore to the mSATA.

2. To turn the 24GB mSATA SSD cache drive into a conventional drive, you need to make it recognizable. By default, it is a GPT partition with a special OEM flag that prevents it from being modified or altered. Using an elevated command prompt:

diskpart
    select disk [YOUR DISK #]
    select partition [YOUR PARTITION #]
    gpt attributes=0x8000000000000001​

Doing this will make the partitions accessible, so you have the option to delete, reformat, and/or make new volumes. I wound up deleting all partitions on the 24GB mSATA. Be aware that there are recovery and OEM partitions on the 24GB. Backup if you think you may want them in the future.

3. I think the Bluetooth module is integrated into the WiFi adapter. I believe this laptop uses a hardware "whitelist", so you will likely need an exact part number for the wireless network+bluetooth adapter card.

4. Blashyrkh

Blashyrkh Newbie

Reputations:
    thanks!! so how do i backup the 24gb ssd??

abouth the wirless card, how can i discover the right model to buy?

5. MifuneT

MifuneT Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    There is a wealth of information on the internet. I recommend doing a lot of research prior to undertaking any modifications of hardware or OS. If you're not confident about how to do things, it might be better to leave it alone, until you have a better understanding of hardware, software, or protocols.

Popular drive backup tools are Partition Magic, EASUS, Paragon Drive Backup

As for the Bluetooth wireless, I have a feeling your laptop has it. It's just not obvious. Look in System -> Device Manager. It should show your current wireless network adapter and any associated bluetooth devices.

6. jmai86

jmai86 Newbie

Reputations:

Thanks for all of the information! I just bought this laptop and registered on this forum to ask you:

Can the 24gb SSD be removed altogether? I plan on swapping in a 120gb SSD as my main drive, so the 24gb msata drive would be kind of useless you think?

7. MifuneT

MifuneT Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    The 24GB SSD can be removed altogether and you can just run with a single drive. If you do the hack I detailed, you can install a better mSATA drive + have an extra hard drive slot available for whatever you want. The Sandisk 24GB mSATA is woefully slow, compared with modern SSDs. It is still useful if you do decide to keep it- you can maybe set it up as a conventional drive and have your browser cache, windows pagefile, hibernation file, and other cache type files write to that disk, rather than your main SSD, which can result in greatly extending the life of your main SSD (most frequent data writes will go on the 24GB). Granted, it's kind of a moot thing to do though, as modern SSDs can last a very very long time.

8. robertozombie

robertozombie Newbie

Reputations:
  9. robertozombie

robertozombie Newbie

Reputations:
    I didn't have a guitar pick to open the case, so I used an old credit card, in the end 2 or 3 plastic teeth broke in the process hehe.

After installing 8gb of Kingston HyperX (CL9) and modifying the graphics memory to 512MB my base score improved from 4.8 to 5.6 (Graphics is the lowest subscore).

Happy new year to all.

Roberto

10. MifuneT

MifuneT Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Roberto, just form factor. Regular laptop hard drives use the regular 2.5" drive size, which accepts the standard connectors (can be used in laptop, or desktop), whereas mSATA aka micro SATA is a very small form factor that is usually used for integrated drives on motherboards. The two drives will likely perform the same, but mSATA is only for use in changing the laptop's integrated drive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.