*** ASUS ROG Zephyrus S GX701GX-XS76 Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Spartan, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Richard Bortz

Richard Bortz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    You still use the same settings? Just got this laptop thats why im asking. Thinking of undervolting mine.

2. zerocool82

zerocool82 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I also just got this laptop and would be quite interested to find out the same, it arrives tomorrow. Thanks

3. _deadbydawn_

_deadbydawn_ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    "sadly" yeah, i still use the same settings. "sadly" because, since temps are so good i stopped optimizing and just played games xD will pick up optimizing soon again though ^^

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

zerocool82 and Richard Bortz like this.
  4. zerocool82

zerocool82 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    That is brilliant. Can't wait to get mine.

_deadbydawn_ likes this.
  5. _deadbydawn_

_deadbydawn_ Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    jusst make sure to repaste it and get rid of that thermalpaste-desaster on the vram etc. with high quality thermal pads. 0.5mm thickness is used for every component that was covered with paste before (just take a pic prior to cleaning the mess off)

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

6. Dennismungai

Dennismungai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Truer words have not been spoken!

Go to the amazon page for the Asus GM501GS-XS74 and see what I mean. Asus's quality control is virtually nonexistent.

7. [Alpha]-0mega-

[Alpha]-0mega- Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So, I took it to my uncle to show it to him, and took it back home. Turned the laptop on and heard this weird buzzing noise.
    Turns out the CPU fan (The one on the right side, closest to the power button) has come loose or something, it's creating a buzzing noise non stop. Rotating the laptop while it's on creates weird friction noises or rattling (like it's colliding with something), and increasing the RPM / lowering it just changes the pitch of the buzzing noise. It's quite loud and irritating, and it's a massive flaw of the device so far that was otherwise perfect.

https://vocaroo.com/i/s0bzlqyrKbPK
    First 6-7 seconds is at idle, then a crossfade to max RPM.
    I've noticed that in the recording at max RPM the noise is not as audible, but trust me, it is.

I'll have to open it up but I don't have the right screwdriver here at the moment, so I'll have to order a set online and open it up tomorrow to see what's wrong.

EDIT: I did some pressure tests and tapped the chassis at the fan position and the sound and grinding became tremendously worse, at this point I'm 100% sure it's a loose fan. I'm always paranoid about damage in these kinds of cases but I'm sure it'll be fine. Will check within 24 hours why it's doing it and why it loosened up.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
  8. Dennismungai

Reputations:
    Here's what you'll need:

(a). Torx bits T4.
    (b). Standard screw driver bit size 2.0.

This is the set I used when opening up the GM501GS XS74 for the fan replacement: https://www.amazon.com/ORIA-Screwdriver-Professional-Precision-Smartphone/dp/B01E16J6RQ

9. [Alpha]-0mega-

[Alpha]-0mega- Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for the advice, I'd already ordered two sets just for general usage. (I usually borrowed someone else's set whenever I happened to need some). I did notice the Torx and saw someone else's tutorial claiming that there were Torx T5 instead of T4. But the set covers everything so I shouldn't have any trouble opening it anyway. :p

That said: If the fan is really borked and I need to replace it, do you know where I can get a GX701GX replacement fan? (Europe) I haven't seen one specifically for the GX701GX online. It might be the same as one of the other laptops, but given that they labeled it the 'thinnest and most powerful' laptop, I wouldn't be surprised if dimensions are slightly off compared to some other models. Some of the part sellers only have power adapters and a power switch or something in stock at the moment.

I guess I'll try to get one through support first, but their website was a bit wonky.

10. Dennismungai

Reputations:
    I was able to grab my replacements from an ebay listing.
    Might want to wait a while until these parts show up.
    I'll also follow up with the reseller I got mine from on the same issue.