*** ASUS ROG Zephyrus S GX701GX-XS76 Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Ultra Male, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Alex555

Alex555 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah i dont really need a hdd anymore aswell, but a second m.2 slot for a cheap SSD with big capacity is great.
    The fact that the gx701 has 2 m.2 slots really make it a valid option for me.
    Though this laptop is very thin and light, I would use it as a desktop replacement (sure, some compromises have to be made, but i am okay with that), and thats why just 1 m.2 slot is not an option. So its great that asus managed to get in a second m.2 slot, I would just like to see how the disassembly and upgrading works for the gx701.

piteris2 likes this.
  2. [Alpha]-0mega-

[Alpha]-0mega- Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Having used it for a few more hours now, it's great, but a bit loud. Speakers are actually quite nice quality for a device this thin, but not really useful for immersive gaming as the fans are really loud. If immersive gaming is your thing a headset is required. That, and using it on top of a laptop cooler isnti going to work without a special palmrest.

Other than that the thing has been bliss.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
    piteris2 likes this.
  3. _deadbydawn_

_deadbydawn_ Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    have you had a look at the PCH-temps in hwinfo by chance? on the 15inch version, they can get quite high. i noticed after playing resident evil 2 for a while that the pch-temp can get up to 88 degrees at times.

just wondering how this behaves on the 17 inch one :)

4. [Alpha]-0mega-

[Alpha]-0mega- Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Sorry, I don't have many proper temperature benchmarks, as I was eager to just start gaming on it when I was done testing the basics. :p And I'll not be available for the next two days so I can't properly test it for a little bit either.

All I know right now is that when gaming in Anthem / For Honor / Final Fantasy 15 with -100mV CPU, stock GPU, Balanced Mode, I stayed at roughly 72~74ºC on the GPU in MSI Afterburner. But I could've been throttled without knowing, at the very least I didn't notice any difference in game performance.

I do need to pick up a sleeve for this thing, it's only slightly bigger than the 15.6 inch I've had before but it doesn't fit in the 'pseudo-laptop' pocket in my backpack. Next thing up will probably be an external and internal 2TB SSD. But I'm a bit anxious about unscrewing the chassis of this thing due to that screen hinge opening mechanism.

5. Alex555

Alex555 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    What are your cpu temps and clocks with undervolting?

6. piteris2

piteris2 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Linus’ review is out and looking great.

By the way, he says there is only one M.2 SSD slot, for those who care about this.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
  7. I don't know

I don't know Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    OK guys, my turn.
    I got this laptop all most two weeks. And this is my conclusion.
    I upgrade my ssd to 970 pro 1tb and 40 gb ram (samsung 32gb 2666 + 8gb on board)
    With no change to CPU and GPU, my score in Time spy Ex is 3597 and port royal 4554.
    When run games, it get pretty hot, BF 5/AC Odyssey cpu is at 3.6GHZ 90 degree and gpu at 1.5-1.6GHZ 75-80 degree.
    When run less intensive game, like overwatch/apex cpu can stay at 3.8GHZ 80-85 degree and gpu is at 1.5-1.6GHZ at 70-75 degree.
    It does get some time really loud, but it's still fine for me consider this laptop is very thin.
    In general, I love this laptop.
    Oh, and from my knowledge GX701 only has one m.2 slot. no 2.5
    And if you guys have any question you can at me. If I know, I will reply ASAP.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
    piteris2 likes this.
  8. piteris2

piteris2 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello there! Thanks for the review. I ordered mine from Amazon.co.uk a week ago but it still hasn’t been dispatched. I have a few questions that I would really appreciate if you could answer if you have the time.

1) Is it worth upgrading the SSD? I’ve seen benchmarks online and it seems to be on par with the 970 PRO performance-wise. Plus I’ve ordered the GX701GX with the 1TB SSD so storage shouldn’t be an issue.

2) Have you undervolted yet? If so, what settings do you use and do they work well for you?

3) Have you repasted at all? I’m guessing you’ve ordered a stock one since you did the RAM and SSD upgrades yourself. What’s the highest CPU/GPU temps you’ve seen so far?

Thanks in advance ;)

Oh and by the way, you mentioned 90C is pretty hot on the CPU, but from my experience, for this form factor these are quite nice temps, but I can’t make any conclusions until I have the laptop myself.

9. I don't know

Reputations:
    1) I personally recommend you upgrade ssd. Just due to there is only m.2 slot, therefore if the ssd died, there is no going back. I just want a ssd that can last longer
    2) I have not undervolte. Because I am happy with these numbers.
    3) Yes I have repasted, the number I posted early is the number after repasted.

P.S. I ordered this system on HIDevolution, I asked them to do the repaste and upgrade for me. I did not do that personally

Last edited: Mar 5, 2019
    piteris2 likes this.
  10. I don't know

Reputations:
    @piteris2
    Guys, temp correction. I made a mistake earlier. I have fixed it just now

piteris2 likes this.