*** ASUS ROG Zephyrus S GX701GX-XS76 Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Spartan@HIDevolution, Jan 9, 2019.

1. randomA

randomA Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    bumping this - trying to appeal to any owner of this machine who can spend 2 minutes to share a vbios.

2. codral

codral Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1eCkRsk1lnBElx_BeVF5yCQJ8skL05ZV_?usp=sharing

Thats mine, 2080Ti, hope that helps.

As an aside to anyone else on here considering buying one of these second hand... Between my coworker and I we've had 3 motherboard replacements (all the same, USB C on left hand side dies, battery stop charging), would not recommend, and would recommend anyone with the option to extend the warranty to do so.

Cheers

Spartan@HIDevolution likes this.
  3. randomA

Reputations:
    Hi, thanks for your vbios.
    Unfortunately it is not even about the vbios anymore, the situation has gone too FUBAR.
    The only way to fix it is to use an nvflash version that supports -4 and -5 commands. But apparently no such version exists for Nvidia RTX 20xx cards.

Other than that, I've never had any problem with this laptop.

4. randomA

Reputations:
    upload_2021-9-28_12-0-18.png
    there you go, just tested ;((

5. [Alpha]-0mega-

[Alpha]-0mega- Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just came here to mention I'm having the same issue. Out of curiosity:

1.) Was a motherboard replacement (If I remember correctly this will be nearly 2000 euros?!) the only fix?
    2.) Did the USB C on the left hand side die due to usage, or randomly?

In my case my USB-C port on the left hand side died some time after plugging in an ASUS ROG Strix XG17AHPE Portable Monitor, that also caused the battery to repeatedly drain unless it's attached to AC power.

Considering the issues I've had with this one I would also not recommend it. It's an amazing laptop, except for the hardware flaws. I'm eyeing a replacement, so I hope the Zephyrus Duo has had these solved in the meantime.

6. randomA

Reputations:
    1) after I sent my unit to the ASUS repair center, yes replacing the whole board was the only possible repair option. The cost for this is literally more than the full price that was paid for this laptop.
    2) No, to me it died after the problem at 1 started. Somehow it seems connected to the NVIDIA functionalities.

7. codral

codral Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Yeah the USB C Port dies completely randomly, this PC is a desktop replacement, it doesn't move. Once the USB C dies this stops the Battery from charging (presumably because this thing supports USB C charging). Only fix is a motherboard replacement, the first time for me was at 3 months after purchase, for my coworker 8 months, and my second was actually 5 days out of warranty but they honoured it (and replaced the battery for some reason). The main warning sign is the battery sometimes charging sometimes not... This always (in our experience, 4 motherboards later) ends in USB C/Motherboard/Battery Death. I've read of similar issues with USB C charging and have seen the same thing in my office where computers have the option of USB C charging or DC... I think ASUS will address this in the next model but meanwhile it's a definite design fault and warranty is the only effective way to fix it unfortunately.

8. domo46670

domo46670 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have an opportunity to buy this laptop second hand (but only 2 months old) for a pretty good price. Was very excited and ready to go through with the purchase but after seeing all of these malfunctioning units I cant stomach to spend so much money for it...

Last edited: Nov 15, 2021
  9. domo46670

domo46670 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    can the newest 3080 model be undervolted?

10. MSH_1986

MSH_1986 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello guys,

First timer here. I got a question, since I updated the BIOS i can't undervolt my GX701GXR. Does anyone have the V.307 BIOS to share please? I can't find it anywhere even if my life depend on it.

I can only find V302, V309 and the lates 310.

TL;DR: can anybody please share V.307 BIOS and save me?