*** ASUS ROG Zephyrus S GX701GX-XS76 Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Ultra Male, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I meant PM him;)

2. I don't know

I don't know Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I talked to people at asus. Found out some of 2070 cards performance lower than 2060 for unknown reason. That is on SCAR and Zephyrus line up. But SCAR is released, so no going back. For 2080, it's just unknown reason, but likely same thing happened.

hmscott likes this.
  3. Bill'O

Bill'O Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    so this one is not released in the US nor EU is it?

4. Joikansai

Joikansai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    This would be great 2080maxq laptop.
    16FCC68B-EC0D-4D4D-98DB-5FC507605429.jpeg
    Full comparison with gs75 in this thread, apparently comes gx701 review from Linus soon.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    hmscott likes this.
  5. JRey

JRey Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hey everyone. Has anyone ordered this laptop with a 2080 Max-Q? the MSI guys (GS65 and 75) would like to see a GPU-Z screenshot.

Thanks in advanced!

hmscott likes this.
  6. [Alpha]-0mega-

[Alpha]-0mega- Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I've pre-ordered one in the Netherlands, supposedly the distributors over here should have received some units a couple of days ago but the shipment didn't come in yet. Perhaps there's a delay for EU, but if you haven't gotten a GPU-Z screenshot yet by the time it comes in I'll share it asap.

JRey likes this.
  7. gthirst

gthirst Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm excited to see this benched and compared to the other RTX laptops. This was my front runner before all the benchmarks and pricing of the other units came out. The Lenovo Legion Y740 is basically $1299 less or +/- a bit depending on the Lenovo discount you can get (and Lenovo discounts are abound)... And then the full desktop class cpu laptops are performing incredibly higher for prices lower or on par with this system.

For the price of the i7-8750h config with 2070MaxQ, you can get an Alienware Area-51m with i7-9700k and a full 2070. For the 2080maxQ config, you can get the Area-51m with full 2080 and 9700... Then the Lenovo has the same specs as the Zephyrus, yet costs significantly less.

Hopefully the thermals and build quality are amazing to justify the price. I loved the 17" screen fitting in the 15" form factor due to the removal of the worthless camera, the opening bottom for thermals, I even like the touchpad being on the right side.

piteris2 likes this.
  8. [Alpha]-0mega-

[Alpha]-0mega- Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    If you don't care about the portability of your system and only care about performance, then you *should* go for something like the Alienware Area 51m or any other 'thicker' laptop. There's a bunch of little things that add to the premium you're paying for the GX701GX. Performance will likely never hold up to the thick 'desktop replacement' laptops. So unless you're hoping for some kind of tradeoff where you're okay with paying 500-1000 more for a thinner/more stylish laptop if it performs only 10% less than a full fledged fat laptop, it's not worth the price.

That said, I did pre-order it with the idea that it should hold up for 3-5 years and be very portable. As long as it can achieve that I got my money's worth.

9. mjugger

mjugger Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    This laptop has been delayed quite a few times. It was originally supposed to be out January 29th then when that date passed retailers showed it as February 20th, and since that last date has passed the majority of retailers are saying march 15th.

Asus has a list of retailers on the web page for this laptop with some of the retailers listed as having the gx701gx in stock (which they don't). Asus list themselves as a retailer and they have always displayed themselves as out of stock.

10. gthirst

gthirst Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The Lenovo Legion Y740 isn't a thick laptop or a huge behemoth by any means, but can easily be had for ~$2000 with the same specs as the GX701 that is $3200.

That said, 10% less is a stretch. An i7-8750h and 2080 MQ range from 10-35% slower than a i7-9700k and 2080 mobile card. Sometimes even more since the 2080MQ is so neutered.

That said, I ultimately agree that you are paying for a lot of the other factors and this can sometimes be justified. I just don't think that is now, and that the price at full price is absolutely ridiculous. The previous Zephyrus with 1080 MQ (which isn't much of a step down from this one) with almost all of the nice build quality factors has been available for substantial periods of time brand new for $1600-$1800 for the last couple of months. This model screams of a good buy in a couple years when you can grab a nice used model or a clearanced new model, but I just can't justify it any other way. It is unfortunate because it was my front runner up until the RTX release.