*** ASUS ROG Zephyrus S GX701GX-XS76 Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Spartan, Jan 9, 2019.

1. laura77

laura77 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    thanks for the reply sean, i think that version i want go to buy have 8gb ram soldered, as reported in this review "The maximum amount of RAM is limited to 24 GB, 8 GB of which is soldered to the motherboard".

So i have to install a sigle 32gb ram stick to get 32gb ram.

2. seanwee

seanwee Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You're welcome.

Be warned however that if you decide to put 32gbs into the laptop, you'll only have dual channel for the first 16gb and then single channel for the remaining 24gb.

3. randomA

randomA Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    i just turned this on.
    What should be the first thing to do here, besides windows updating everything ?

4. zazzle

zazzle Newbie

Reputations:
    I have a GX701G and the temps are pretty terrible. Out of the box I was seeing CPU temps peak at 97C and GPU temps of 85C when playing Apex Legends. In less intensive games like Overwatch I was hitting 95C CPU and 80C GPU.

So I re-pasted with Arctic MX-4 but only saw a 2-3 degree drop. So I switched to liquid metal. Now I'm seeing CPU temps of 90C and GPU temps of 80C when playing Apex. Not nearly the drop I expected. I thought maybe the 1mm thermal pads I used were too thick so I swapped to K5-Pro, didn't make a difference.

I'm wondering if the issue is the heatsink isn't making full contact with the CPU? Any ideas?

5. seanwee

Reputations:
    Somethings not right here. Did you spread the liquid metal properly? On both the cpu/gpu and also on the corresponding spots on the heatsink?

6. laura77

laura77 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Another info, what do owners think about keyboard position? Is it
    comfortable to use for typing texts? The forward position is abnormal and unfortunately I have no way to try it first to buy.

7. zazzle

zazzle Newbie

Reputations:
    Yeah I put it on both. I used the Gamers Nexus and Actually Hardcore Overclocking liquid metal video guides.

Its not the first time I've used liquid metal, I used it on my last laptop (Asus G72V) and delidded my desktop 8700k CPU and got the expected results. I did a complete clean up re-apply this morning of liquid metal and things haven't improved. I don't think the heatsink is making proper contact. Not sure what else to try

seanwee likes this.
  8. seanwee

Reputations:
    I tried it and didn't like it. Its OK if you have a table but unusable if you have limited space like on a plane or if you put it on your lap.

That was my biggest gripe with the zephyrus and unfortunately one I couldn't live with so I had to go with the GS75. A real shame.

9. randomA

randomA Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    questions after first starting to use the gx701:

1. How come, I can't set a custom fan curve on MSI Afterburner for this laptop? In the settings, the Fan tab doesnt even appear. Anyone knows?

2. Also , when using Throttlestop, when I launch the TS Bench function, the log starts saying red error numbers, like starts from 1 up to the thousands of "Errors". What am I doing wrong over there?
    Is this related to the fact that the profile on Armoury Crate needs to be set to Turbo to work? I haven't tried that combination fixes it yet.

3. Can the Manual profile in Armoury Crate customize anything at all? It seems that nothing is really clickable unless to reposition window sections around!

10. Johnnything

Johnnything Newbie

Reputations:
    A little off topic to the theme of this thread...

Has anyone found a suitable sleeve for this laptop? It seems everything listed at 15" is slightly too narrow (about 10-15mm) and all 17" are much looser than I'd hope for.

I really like the look of the Tomtoc 360 and the Evecase Diamond.