*** ASUS ROG Zephyrus S GX701GX-XS76 Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Spartan, Jan 9, 2019.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Well, it says right there on the page that it's the right model number, XB78, but it says 144hz / 3ms which I thought it was 300hz / 3ms, but that might be the HDR screen refresh we didn't know about. I'd check directly with the gentechpc guys.

The gentechpc guys are great, ask them all your questions directly or here on NBR :)

@GenTechPC

My 144hz Freesync (G-sync compatible) HDR screen (monitor, not laptop) has all those things, so they aren't necessarily incompatible.

The only "downer" that I can see is that the laptop has Optimus (Intel iGPU) mode that doesn't support G-sync which I wouldn't use - but it has a discrete GPU mode that does support G-sync, only thing is I can't see what the refresh of the HDR screen is (60hz??) and it's all not clearly layed out.

I wish Asus had a chart of models like MSI that lists all the individual components - not perfect - but a bit easy to see answers like you are looking for.

Again, the @GenTechPC guys can get the answers for you, I think emailing them on their web site is best. Also they have a video review channel on youtube, but I don't see this particular new version of the GX701 (300hz!) reviewed yet - you could ask them to do that and post it here:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/GenTechPC/videos

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
    GenTechPC and randomA like this.
  2. Sup3rKillaX

Sup3rKillaX Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Would anyone be interested to test a vbios that will ligit make the max q 2080 like 30%+ faster? I need to see how it works on other 701 laptops before I make a guide.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

seanwee likes this.
  3. randomA

randomA Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    hmscott likes this.
  4. randomA

Reputations:
    According to this thread on reddit, the model i linked is definitely the one with no Gsync due to HDR screen : https://www.reddit.com/r/ASUS/comments/bzjbq4/need_some_help_with_my_gx701/ . there is version with G-Sync, the GX701GXR , but not sold in USA and I dont' know where it is. Oh well.

At this point the best version available for this laptop has to be the namesake of this thread: GX701GX-XS76 . This comes only in 8th gen CPU tho, which is fine.
    If you have this model, can you conferm that in this case the 2080 GPU is already at 990 mhz ?

hmscott likes this.
  5. GenTechPC

GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2019
    randomA and hmscott like this.
  6. randomA

Reputations:
    thanks for confirming!

GenTechPC and hmscott like this.
  7. randomA

Reputations:
    I eventually after many tribulations went for the GX701-XB76.

By no means I am an expert, but willing to learn and very much able to follow instructions to the T.
    What should the first things I do once I receive the laptop be?

Reading from threads around here, the order seems: remove all bloatware -> fire CPUZ and paste here the results.
    Really looking forward to some kind folks on this thread to enlighten me on the right ways to maximize performance on this laptop - don't mind serving as a testing ground for your suggestions.

Also definitely interested in flashing that vbios from full RTX2080 on the RTX2080 mq.

8. Jaroslaw

Jaroslaw Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey,

My processor overheated reached 95 degrees after a few seconds of maximum load. I decided to replace the thermal grease (Arctic MX4) with a CPU and GPU. Now the temperature on the CPU does not exceed 85 degrees [Prime 95, Furmark - CPU Load 100%, GPU Load 100%]. But I'm worried about the GPU temperature - RTX2060, which during a long maximum load reaches 82 degrees. Is not it too much? Room temperature 23 degrees. Armory Crate profile: "Perfomance"

GX701GV
    RTX 2060
    i7-8750H

Thanks and regards

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
  9. seanwee

seanwee Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    82 seems pretty toasty for a 2060. Are the fans at maximum or auto?

10. Jaroslaw

Jaroslaw Newbie

Reputations:
    82 degrees is the maximum value I have observed. When playing, the temperature reaches 80 degrees. Fans set to AUTO. What difference does the RTX 2060 or RTX 2070 have as the same TDP?