*** ASUS ROG Zephyrus S GX701GX-XS76 Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Spartan, Jan 9, 2019.

1. FarleyUK

FarleyUK Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    HELP!

Bluetooth has disappeared from my GX701 suddenly; not appearing in device manager etc., meaning my mouse and keyboard won't connect. Anyone have any ideas? Tried installing the drivers again, but doesn't work.

hmscott likes this.
  2. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    It's likely the BT part of the Wifi/BT card died, it happens, but it's also just as likely a Windows update messed up the device entry, so it's worth trying deleting the entries and re-scanning for the device.

You would go into the device manager, Show Hidden devices - whether it's showing or not showing - and delete all the hidden devices and the live device if it is showing.

You could then reboot and let Windows scan at boot, or there should be a "Scan for new Hardware" menu option in the Device Manager, try that first.

If scanning before reboot doesn't find the device, then try power off and power on to see if the device is picked up after booting into Windows - for extra credit - at power up go into the BIOS and see if the BT device is showing anywhere in the BIOS menu's.

If you can't resurect the device, it's likely dead, and AFAIK that BT device is also on a Wifi card so you'll want to get a new Wifi/BT card - look at the device socket to see what kind of keyd socket it is before ordering - you can cross lookup your existing part number to see what socket it fits to verify.

Good luck, and please come back and let us know how it works out for you. :)

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
  3. FarleyUK

Reputations:
    I tried all sorts - the BT wasn't even in device manager.

However.... I just had a windows update for the ASUS firmware update, and that's now fixed it - it's re-appeared!

hmscott likes this.
  4. hmscott

Reputations:
    When the BT device didn't show up in the Device Manager, did you check "Show Hidden Devices" or "Rescan for Hardware Changes"?

That might have solved the problem too. If the BT device was ever seen in this Windows Install, and was "lost" it would still have a Hidden entry, and if not then "Rescan for Hardware Changes" would do the same as the Windows Update did.

Glad it's working for you now. :)

5. Austin R Anderson

Austin R Anderson Newbie

Reputations:
    Anyone had issues with their computer trying to turn itself on while closed? Mine tried to commit suicide a couple of days ago by turning itself on while it was closed up in my backpack. Sucker was HOT by the time I finally noticed and pulled it out to save it.

hmscott likes this.
  6. hmscott

Reputations:
    It happens all the time if you have "wake" or start on lid lift, even a sensitive trackpad set to "wake" or start on "movement" under the lid can turn on the laptop - wake from sleep / hibernate.

I gave up on using those features - setting them to do "nothing" in the Windows Power Options, and then the finding of a "hot laptop" in the backpack stopped.

There may be a timeout for sleep as well on some laptops as the battery drains near zero - then it just wakes up instead of shutting down. I vaguely recall being stung by that, so I started using Hibernate instead which is really a shutdown with a saved state.

Then I got tired of the huge footprint of the hyberfil.sys in C:\ (hidden file) that's the size of memory (hibernate uses to store memory state), which was 64GB for me at that time (I also disabled the Windows VM swapfile pagefil.sys).

I started booting clean each time when fast SSD boots started to become available, saving my work and shutting down every time instead of going into sleep / hibernate.

So I guess I am saying you could circumvent all of that and just disable sleep / hibernate...powercfg /h off as administrator...

"Nuke the site from orbit - it's the only way to be sure." :cool:

How to Add or Remove "Lid open action" from Power Options in Windows 10
    https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials...d-open-action-power-options-windows-10-a.html

How to Allow [Disable] Mouse or Keyboard to Wake Computer in Windows 10
    https://www.howto-connect.com/allow-mouse-keyboard-wake-computer-windows-10/

How to customize power button action when pressed on Windows 10
    You can change the default action of your PC's power button, and in this guide, we'll show you how to do it.
    https://www.windowscentral.com/how-customize-power-button-action-when-pressed-windows-10

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
  7. FarleyUK

Reputations:
    Yep, that was the first thing I checked, but nothing appeared.

hmscott likes this.
  8. hmscott

Reputations:
    Thanks for letting us know. That's very unusual for not even a Hidden entry to be left behind. It's the first time I've heard Windows Update blowing away a whole device - entry, driver, and hidden entries - without the device being automatically re-scanned and re-added.

There must have been a bug MS caught and fixed with that update that re-initialized the entry in the Device Manager.

9. Sup3rKillaX

Sup3rKillaX Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So right now I am running okayish I guess with a 0.937mv on gpu and it gets about 78C while maintaining a 1980 OC is that good or no? Also does anyone know why my A51m is flashing black when gsync is enabled only? I am on bios 1.5.0 and 200w vbios 1.2

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

10. FarleyUK

Reputations:
    I've had an offer from ASUS to extend the warranty to a 2 year warranty... I'm tempted, but the 'Chinglish' terms don't make for easy reading...!

Does anyone know if - by changing the hard drive and the RAM - the warranty is voided...? If it is, there's no point in me getting the extended warranty, but if it's not, I'd be tempted.

EDIT: Here's the response from ASUS:

"Thank you for contacting ASUS Support.

Be advised that any tampering will void the warranty, as there is no compartment on the back of your laptop that will give you direct access to the components you want to upgrade.

If you need any further info, we'll be glad to assist. "

Glad I didn't spend £££ on the extended warranty then...! Seems ridiculous that you can't upgrade the HDD or RAM without voiding the warranty.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019