*** ASUS ROG Zephyrus S GX701GX-XS76 Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Ultra Male, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Justin Tullos

Justin Tullos Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Codral, it's not possible with the HDR screen that's on the GX701. I had one, and even though it had a sticker that marketed GSync, and marketed as having a GPU switch in Armoury Crate, it wasn't correct.

2. codral

codral Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Oh my apologies, i just have the 1920x1080 144hZ pantone, not the HDR! How bizarre they've only disabled it on the HDR, it definitely works on the NON-HDRR (as a side note the discrete performance of the 2080 vs the optimus is almost 50% difference in some games)

Just saw this thread, might pay for you to let them know, they're asking the Q about HDR + G Sync

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/asus-zephyrus-s-non-s-g-sync-hdr.828985/

Cheers bro

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  3. codral

codral Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Am i in the wrong topic? I know two of these PCs were very similar (one had the older model CPU and the other had a higher resolution screen). If so any chance i can get a point in the right direction, search isn't loving me

4. FarleyUK

FarleyUK Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi all,

Have a bit of a nightmare on my hands... just got a new GX701 (incidentally, with 32GB of RAM....). I was in the process of swapping out the SSD, when the ribbon connecting the trackpad to the motherboard actually came off; and not just the ribbon, but the entire plastic clip section.

Any idea what on earth I can do? The trackpad doesn’t work at all, and the buttons above it are not working either.

There is a small piece of metal sticking out from the back of the trackpad where it was connected, but there’s nothing on the plastic ribbon connector that it connects to.

Help!

5. ijozic

ijozic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Can the connector just fit back on these metallic connectors? I've had sometimes these connectors pulled off, but they would just fit back on the underlying stiff wires on the motherboard.

Some photos would help diagnose how salvageable it is, but if it can't just fit back (e.g. the wires are damaged or something) the one option you'll have is to take it to some repair shop where they can solder (or what not) back the connector to the touchpad. The other option would be to get a new touchpad, but these might be difficult to source as they usually come bundled with the whole top palmrest part.

At least the ribbon itself didn't get cut, that's pretty tricky to fix from my limited experience.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2019
  6. mobiousblack

mobiousblack Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That's great news however this only applies to the new laptops with hdr support as they would be Optimus only. For hdr on laptops you need to go through the Intel gpu according to asus. If your laptop is non hdr then that's probably why it has the switch.

"A special version of the Zephyrus S GX701 is also available with an HDR panel that boasts over a billion colors with full coverage of the BT.709 color gamut. It has higher brightness, better contrast, and localized dimming across 15 backlight zones. But HDR is so new to gaming laptops that the software ecosystem isn’t fully up to speed; it only works in Optimus mode, so there’s no GPU switch or G-Sync on this model, and gaming with high dynamic range is limited to titles that support the native Windows API for HDR."

https://rog.asus.com/articles/rog-g...p-guide-rog-returns-to-redefine-expectations/

7. FarleyUK

FarleyUK Newbie

Reputations:
    [​IMG]

That’s how it looks, before it fell off...!

8. FarleyUK

FarleyUK Newbie

Reputations:
    Incidentally... any idea why the version I received has 32GB of RAM as opposed to the standard 16? Looks like it’s 2 x 16GB, as the memory in the slot is 16GB... so has to be 16GB on board as well.

9. ijozic

ijozic Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Yeah, there's 16GB soldered on-board plus one RAM slot for expansion.

Yup, the connector's completely ripped off with some wires remaining on it and some on the board, I guess you pulled the palmrest pretty hard with a cable still locked in.

But, that looks like a keyboard back there (behind the connector) so I guess your keyboard is not working either? It seems welded to the palmrest so it's not removable.

A good service shop is your only chance to salvage this, I guess. If they can't fix it, you'll need a new palmrest which I presume comes with both the keyboard and a touchpad.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
  10. KNDY

KNDY Newbie

Reputations:
    So far, the laptop has done well but there is one game that I have that I keep getting err12 graphic device crashed and it's Monster Hunter World. It's also the only game that really heats the system up that it crashes often. I lowered certain settings but to no avail. Drives me nuts!