*** ASUS ROG Zephyrus S GX701GX-XS76 Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Spartan@HIDevolution, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Justin Tullos

Justin Tullos Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Anyone else have issues with fan noise/vibration? It sounds like one of the bearings in the left fan is rattling.

2. vegetaeater

vegetaeater Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I think he covers it in this video:

(read comments as the video is in Chinese)

3. V4vdoo

V4vdoo Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi Guys, Does anyone know what kind of screen is in HDR version of this laptop ? is it with local dimming ?

4. Frencho

Frencho Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    No local dimming on such thin screen frame, as no room for a full array. And not an HDR screen by any stretch of the imagination, 500 nits top, lol. That brightness is actually great for SDR content.

HDR content is mastered for a minimum of 1000 nits...

VESA HDR 400 and 600 standards should not exist! 800 nits you start to enjoy HDR just a bit anything less and you just end up with dim, greyish, unsaturated mess.

5. grrr1241

grrr1241 Newbie

Reputations:
    If anyone's interested in buying GX701, don't ever do it from HIDevolution from Amazon.com.
    I bought mine in April and was promised to be sent a brand new box sealed product.

What I received was an used one in a sealed box, a laptop which seemed someone had sent back to the factory for refund, and had clear signs of having been used by someone before me.

Upon receiving the laptop, I took a number of photos that can prove its secondhand state, as well as the date taken
    through my iPhone. But then I was too busy working and living my life to contact HIDevolution.

Days passed and I was sitting on the fence, thinking to myself that I should sleep on what I should do because I knew it would be one hell of a hassle to package it all over again and have it sent to them through international shipping.

I finally came to a decision that I won't accept a used product for my $3000. When I contacted them they wound't acknowledge my story and evidence, claiming that I should have contacted them within 3-day-period upon receiving the product.

Wow. Okay, not everyone is supposed to know their little policy but okay. The very blatant fact that they sent me 'a used laptop of GX701' remains true despite their robotic response of 3 days return window blah blah.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
  6. gazibus

gazibus Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi I have just got a Zephyrus GX701 and had the same problem with Armoury Crate. Asus support couldn't solve the problem and suggested reversing to factory status, but I also don't want to loose all the work done to configure so many programs.

Have you found a way to solve the problem? In my case the only problematic issue is related with the switch Optimus/G-sync that apparently is possible only through Armoury Crate.

Cheers

7. codral

codral Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I've just picked up the
    ASUS - GX701GXR-EV007T
    ASUS GX701GXR Zephyrus S Black
    Laptop, i7-9750H, 32GB (2x 16GB) RAM,
    1TB M.2 PCIESSD,
    17.3inch FHD 144Hz IPS,
    GeForce RTX 2080 Max-Q Design, 2.60kg, Win10 Home,
    Per Key RGB.

If anyone has any questions or benchmarks to run let me know.

This actually has a MuX switch in it (i think thats the word) so you can switch from Optimus to Discrete + G Sync.
    The screen is stunning, the G Sync is amazing, didn't realise what i was missing out...

Just for an approximate performance guide Assassins Creed Odyssey is running at around 80-90 FPS max settings (no res upscaling), No Mans sky sits on 144 (i mention it because it tends to perform badly), all E Sports games sit at 144 and Star Citizen varies from 100-50 on Very high (in typical Star Citizen Fashion).

The keyboard takes some getting used to as does the mouse but after a week i love it.

FYI undervolt is -50mV max for these processors.

8. codral

codral Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I had this issue, the seller opened the case, pushed the bearings to make sure they were seated then lessened off the heatsink/cpu fan screws ever so slightly which fixed it (he logged it for ASUS in case happens again)

9. codral

codral Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Has anyone had issues getting XTU to work? I can undervolt alright but i get a constant message that monitor is not enabled. IIt's a fresh install, i've tried reinstalling XTU including removing all registry entries but to no avail.

10. codral

codral Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hey mate unless i'm getting the model confused this is definitely possible (i've got the ASUS - GX701GXR but i see the specs are the same as the GX), you need to enable it in Armoury Crate, it's a little hidden as you need to click the little toggles i've circled below, then click optimus and set to Discrete, it'll reboot and enabe GSYNC.

upload_2019-8-22_14-39-32.png