*** ASUS ROG Zephyrus S GX701GX-XS76 Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Ultra Male, Jan 9, 2019.

1. [Alpha]-0mega-

[Alpha]-0mega- Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So, my laptop has been returned. Some slight hiccups but things mostly seem to be in working order again..

For the heck of it I tried to benchmark it again, and then this happened!
    https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/35653197?

My old scores hovered below 8000, but now I've gotten above 8000! Perhaps the RMA guys re-pasted everything? Both GPU and CPU went up so I doubt it's a driver thing, the closest score is still like 240 points difference.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
  2. V4vdoo

V4vdoo Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi guys, Does anyone know when is HDR display with local dimming coming for this laptop?

3. heisenberg1122

heisenberg1122 Newbie

Reputations:
    I got 9106 time spy graphic score on the machine. The highest temp is around 83 after I re-pasted it with tf8. Stock thermal paste is too much imo.
    Additional setups, including undervolt cpu -0.046, overclock GPU 130/200, and some other windows power setups I learn from this forum.
    [​IMG]

4. mobiousblack

mobiousblack Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I placed an order for one of the new GX701s with HDR, however to achieve this Asus has removed g sync completely and only use optimus. Now this video pops up.

I will be gaming while plugged in for the most part, is there a way to completely disable optimus if needed or will it always add that extra overhead when using the laptop display?

Edit: not possible only solution is to plug into an external display or to get the previous generation with gsync Optimus switching (which is what I did I just canceled my preorder).

Last edited: May 21, 2019
    SteveEricJordan likes this.
  5. Frencho

Frencho Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Never heard of any one disabling Optimus on big brand OEM BIOS. Maybe with PREMA it could be done?
    A high end, 3k+ $ gaming laptop without G-Sync or Freesynch is a sin. Cancel the order.
    You could salvage the situation if it had HDR and 4K screen, turning it in a decent portable home theater, but 1080p HDR is a joke when all HDR content these days is 4k.

hmscott likes this.
  6. mjugger

mjugger Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    are you guys having any issues with armoury crate? It just stopped working for me. it's now missing a bunch of aura preset effects (including the custom per key feature) and I can't change the fan speeds either and all the apply buttons are missing (except the one used for manual fan speed). I've uninstalled and re-installed. I've also tried the new armoury crate service core (v2.1.2) but when I do armoury crate will only have one menu icon (highlights).

the gx701gx laptop is amazing, but asus's hardware controlling software sucks very bad

7. SteveEricJordan

SteveEricJordan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    -

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  8. mjugger

mjugger Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Nah I didn't change anything. I currently don't have XTU and my laptop isn't undervolted and I haven't changed any of the settings for the overclocking. I just turned it on the other day and I noticed AURA wasn't working correctly.

at this point I'm wondering if a windows update could have screwed it.

9. mobiousblack

Reputations:
    Got the same issue now I am unable to change the led effects on the open vent and the front logo on top of the intakes. Didn't undervolt anything or overclock anything.

10. mobiousblack

Reputations:
    I ended up canceling my order and going with the previous Gen that has manual switching. In the end it performs similarly as the new cpus barely provide any improvements and once you factor in forced Optimus the previous generation with gsync outperforms it.

Frencho and mjugger like this.