*** ASUS ROG Zephyrus S GX701GX-XS76 Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Ultra Male, Jan 9, 2019.

1. I don't know

I don't know Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The 100W 2080mq is really the main reason i bought this laptop.
    However after some weeks of use. I noticed the fan on the right (close to power button) when spinning around 3000RPM sometimes make high pitch noise. Noise will go away very soon once the fan spin faster or slower. Hard to describe but it's there, and i am not the only one that have a odd fan.

2. Kavinsky

Kavinsky Newbie

Reputations:
    Has anyone noticed any issues with the USB power delivery?

When I plug my 60W dock into my GX701, the laptop just continuosly cycles between charging and the battery, and the internal display just keeps turning on and off constantly (presumably as it adds and removes the HDMI out on the dock).

Interestingly the dock does function correctly when the laptop is plugged into the power brick.

Please also note, this is the 2tb NVME from my GM501 with the windows install for that rather than a fresh install of windows, or the pre-installed version of windows that ships on the 660p.

3. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    ASUS Zephyrus S (GX701) Gaming Laptop Review
    Jarrod'sTech
    Published on Apr 2, 2019
    The ASUS GX701 is the 17 inch version of the Zephyrus S, so it’s quite thin with some powerful hardware inside. In this review we’ll take a look at performance, thermals, overclocking, battery life and basically everything else you’d want to know to help you decide if it’s a laptop you should consider buying.

Frencho, Zodiaks and CedricFP like this.
  4. mason2smart

mason2smart Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Not touching one of these again

Keep getting comments on my youtube video from ppl with bloated batteries

hmscott likes this.
  5. Zodiaks

Zodiaks Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello. I've recently purchased the GX701GX. I've been enjoying the laptop, however I ran into something that I cannot wrap my head around.

As with other laptop users I'm sure, I've needed to expand on ports and have been in need of a Docking station. Now 99% of the docking stations out there, at least the good ones, are Thunderbolt 3. For quite some time now, I had been under the impression that thunderbolt 3 and USB type C had become cross compatible so I went ahead and purchased a docking station.

I'm in need of many ports since I have alot of devices. I settled on the Caldigit TS3 Plus after reading many good things about it.
    https://www.amazon.com/CalDigit-TS3...s&qid=1554395186&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

However I cannot get it to work with my GX701GX connecting the power to the power brick, then to the dock and from the docks Thunderbolt 3 to my computer using the TB (computer) port. I've contacted Caldigit support through amazon and also through their website and they keep telling me that I need a thunderbolt connection on the laptop and not USB type C.

However I've read about others using thunderbolt on the GX500 series, which according to specs, also has USB type C and not thunderbolt.

I've been on the asus rog forum. That place is empty and nobody ever provides any service. Last time I tried to contact asus' online support, they also knew nothing about the product.

I feel so lost and would really appreciate any help.

Help! :(

6. Killerkrack

Killerkrack Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Unfortunately, I don’t believe this laptop supports TB3.

Frencho likes this.
  7. Zodiaks

Zodiaks Newbie

Reputations:
  8. Jarrod'sTech

Jarrod'sTech Newbie

Reputations:
    I may have misunderstood, but to me the video is showing that Thunderbolt is working correctly on Dell XPS as expected, but not with the Zephyrus as it doesn't have Thunderbolt. The GM501, GX531 and GX701 all have USB Type-C ports wired for DisplayPort, the functionality that seems to be working through the dock can be done without Thunderbolt (the only issue is the 2nd screen not working, right?)

I don't know the pin out differences between TB3/USB Type-C, I can only assume they have similarities though (eg same pins for data/display transfer) so that both can be used with the same Type-C port. My guess is that in that example, and for many other devices, limited functionality is possible over USB, but interested to see what other people with more TB3 experience have to say.

9. Zodiaks

Zodiaks Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello, the connector for Thunderbolt 3 and USB-C is the same.

What I want, is a dock I can use that has multiple DP/HDMI, has power delivery has several usb-c fast transmit, gigabit ethernet and several usb 3.0 ports. I need more ports for the gx701gx, thats why i got the TS3 Plus dock

10. Zodiaks

Zodiaks Newbie

Reputations: