*** ASUS ROG Zephyrus S GX701GX-XS76 Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Ultra Male, Jan 9, 2019.

1. _deadbydawn_

_deadbydawn_ Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    when you open up the thing send me a pic of the fan. i don't remember anymore how they look like since it's a while since i opened it up. i have two fans from the 15 inch model of the new zephyrus series laying around which i don't need (the fans are from a new device where the motherboard had a defect from factory). if they are the same fans you can have it, just pay the shipping :)

but i'm not sure if the 17 inch has the same left fan with that heatsink attached, i really don't remember anymore..

[​IMG]

2. [Alpha]-0mega-

[Alpha]-0mega- Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It looks similar but slightly different? Heres a few pics. https://imgur.com/a/oaQzUuc

I'm half certain that i have a faulty bearing but the fan itself also seems wonky. When I bend the frame towards the fan (making it more likely to touch the blades) it actually reduces the buzzing noise.

IllI see if I can bend it into shape and put it back in, if it acts up again IllI send it to the shop I ordered it from for maintenance.

EDIT: I used some Ballistol on the inside of the fan and pushed and bent some of the frame. It's a lot quieter than it was at first, but it's not completely fixed yet.

In addition, in my impatience I ****ed up and got the powered board to fry the ribbon cable connecting the touchpad to the motherboard, so now I have to send it in either way unless I get a new ribbon cable too.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
  3. _deadbydawn_

_deadbydawn_ Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    ah yeah, they aren't the same -.- thanks for the pics!

ah ****... **** like this happened to me before as well, i know the pain... -.-

the buzzing fan noise is a thing on those i guess, a friend of mine had the same issue yesterday. strangely it suddenly went away again after like 10 min.. o_O

this is how to touchpad ribboncable looks like on the 15inch, i can't see how it's bent on the 17 inch (the photo is cut), check it, if it looks the same - i don't need it ;-)

[​IMG]

4. [Alpha]-0mega-

Reputations:
    Haha, thanks for the offer. I think it's the same one, but I'm gonna send in my laptop for RMA anyway so ASUS'll replace it for me too. No need to send it. :)

Did your friend have that issue with the CPU fan or GPU fan? As mine was purely the CPU fan. (GPU was perfect) When I first heard any noise I could stop it by moving my laptop around a bit. (I used it on a laptop cooler that has 4 raised corners for the laptop to rest on) My first guess was that this caused too much localized pressure on that "flap" on the bottom that opens up and messed something up. (But after seeing internals, I think that's highly unlikely)

When it randomly got really bad the noise didn't go away at all and I ran it for over a day, unless I put the fan upside down. Rotating it also made it significantly worse. I'm gonna guess there's some mechanical imperfection in the motor that allowed the fan to create this grinding / buzzing noise, as lubricating softened but didnt fix it completely.

Here's to hoping on a swift and successful RMA.

5. MichaelF1

MichaelF1 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I’m perplexed about the single RAM slot. Pardon if that has already been discussed (I skimmed the thread but might have overlooked it). What sort of memory configuration is that? Seems like it would make dual channel behavior difficult with anything other than 16GB.

I’m also curious if there is any hope or benefit of RAID 0 with the m.2 setup they have.

6. [Alpha]-0mega-

Reputations:
    It's asynchronous dual channel if you put a bigger stick in there. (So 8 + 16 is still dual channel) The main problem is finding bigger sticks, 24gb single stick is kind of rare over here.

In terms of performance, think of it as dual channel 'lite'

MichaelF1 likes this.
  7. I don't know

I don't know Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    For ram. there is on-board 8GB 2666MHZ build in, and only one ram slot is available, you can have 8GB 16GB or 32GB(if you can buy one) plug in that dimm slot to run dual channel.
    I am running with 32GB Samsung 2666MHZ ram + 8GB on board and no problem with my config.
    There is only one M.2 slot and no 2.5 slot. so there will be no raid support.
    Hope that address your confusion.

MichaelF1 likes this.
  8. MichaelF1

Reputations:
    Thanks, both of you — that helps!

They both seem like eccentricities that this 17” laptop inherited from its smaller brother(s). I love the form factor and build quality, though, and my observed GPU clock on the one I tested recently was much higher than published boost clocks. Strong performance for a Max Q design.

9. I don't know

I don't know Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    For 2080mq in GX701 is 100W TDP, but in MSI is only 80W Alienware is 90W.

_deadbydawn_ and MichaelF1 like this.
  10. MichaelF1

Reputations:
    Ah - that makes sense; the specs I read only covered 80W or 90W versions. I’m happy to learn that there was a third tier (I wonder if there will be more). Can’t wait for a TDP-edited BIOS :)