*** ASUS ROG Zephyrus S GX531GX-XS74 Owner's Lounge ***

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by Ultra Male, Jan 9, 2019.

1. _deadbydawn_

_deadbydawn_ Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    yeah i figured as well that's why i preordered it. but then again, the 17 inch version of the strix (maybe the zephyrus will) won't fit in a 15 inch (and not a tight fit one) backpack (at least in the two i tried, that i use), so that's why i decided it was still too big for me. the 15 inch fits nicely - so i wouldn't say it's a small 15 inch - but i don't want to carry any bigger backpack than i already do haha ^^

2. Giz974

Giz974 Newbie

Reputations:
    Edit : Sorry wrong topic

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
  3. B0B

B0B Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I'm reviewing this next and WOW is it potent per its size! This is from HIDevolution.

4. Dragonacc

Dragonacc Newbie

Reputations:
    You have any insights you can share BOB? How do you think this compares to the Y740 (not considering price)?

5. B0B

B0B Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I’m not sure they’re too comparable. I can’t imagine someone deciding between the two.

This is quite an interesting laptop that is very unique by design.

6. Dragonacc

Dragonacc Newbie

Reputations:
    Yeah, I get that. I know you were pretty impressed with the thermals and everything on the y740 so was curious how it compared. I am actually completely up in the air on what I want to buy right now. I looked at the 17 inch Y740 (2080 max q) and actually ordered an Area 51m because of all the recent discounts. The order got canceled though b/c they wont ship it to an APO address. I looked at the other full size 2080 laptops but they seem huge even compared to the Area 51m. Which brings me to looking for the fastest Max q laptop...

7. B0B

B0B Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Here’s one for you if needed

8. Dragonacc

Dragonacc Newbie

Reputations:
    I watched the comparison and review. Appreciate both.

9. tawmkruze

tawmkruze Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi,

Have any of you guys experienced a problem with holding down the "caps lock" key? I noticed that if I hold down the caps lock key for more than a second or two, the rest of the keyboard becomes unresponsive until about 4-5 seconds after another key is pressed. Example: in notepad, press and hold "caps lock" for 2 seconds, then press W (with caps lock still held down); the W will show up about 4-5 seconds after the key is pressed.

I have a slightly different model (the one with the 2070), but I didn't see a thread ofr that one so I put my question here. Hope it doesn't bother anyone.

10. skyworxx

skyworxx Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everyone,

could someone please confirm that the USB-C displayport is wired to the NVidia card and not the Intel integrated graphics?

It is explained here, but I'll copy&paste: https://uploadvr.com/oculus-rift-s-valve-index-no-hdmi/https://uploadvr.com/oculus-rift-s-valve-index-no-hdmi/

[​IMG]
    An example of a laptop which would not work.

I am planning on using the laptop for VR development 'on the go' and it being the slimmest available laptop would be a huge plus. But I do need working displayport so if anyone could confirm if it is indeed wired to the Nvidia GPU / post a screenshot of that page in the nvidia panel, that would be a massive help.

Thanks!