ASUS ROG Zephyrus GX501 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by HamzimusPrime, May 20, 2017.

1. SteveEricJordan

SteveEricJordan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    -

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  2. link626

link626 Asus GL502VM, Lenovo Y580, Asus K53TA

Reputations:
    again, asus has good intentions, and drops the ball.

GM501 has manual graphics switching, but 55whr battery

my GL has a 64whr battery.

Vistar Shook likes this.
  3. Vistar Shook

Vistar Shook Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    What do mean? The cpu benchmarks are just fine for the i7-8750H. As expected it scores well in the first CB15 run then scores lower on subsequent runs because of the TDP limit. Did you see the regular Zephyrus with the i7-8750H behave differently?

Enviado de meu Pixel 2 usando Tapatalk

mason2smart likes this.
  4. Desertf0x9

Desertf0x9 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thicker and only a 1070 gtx, sounds like a step backwards. Battery life is still quite disappointing. There really is no reason to get this laptop anymore compared to their competitors.

5. Ghent

Ghent Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It is not the new model of our Zephyrus GX501. Its a new model for Zehyrus brand the code is GM501 and they named it Zephyrus M. Its a seperate model.

The updated version of our model is the same with a new Coffee Lake i7-8750H processor, 2666MHz Rams and 144 Hz 3ms panel. Also it has the Print Screen button now.

Tapatalk kullanarak iPhone aracılığıyla gönderildi

Vistar Shook likes this.
  6. Fredrik Lidström

Fredrik Lidström Newbie

Reputations:
    I'w been having an issue with my GX501's touchpad/numpad. It seems that my numpad has a slight "overhang" on the right side. "Overhang" meaning my leftmost row of numbers can be accessed on the rightmost side of the numpad. So if i press to the right of my "+" i get a "7" and on the right of my "Enter" I get a "4" and "1"....

Could anyone else with a GX501 please confirm this problem? Or is it just my hardware?

Cheers!
    Fredrik L

Edit: Nevermind. Turns out to be a drivers update. This issue is gone with the newest drivers for the touch- /num -pad.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
  7. Ghent

Ghent Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Do you guys think the new Zep. M's keyboard lightning can be applied to our laptop? I mean the rainbow like colors (seperate colors for different zones) or the automatic color change according to game? Is it only software related or hardware also?

8. thebigbadchef

thebigbadchef Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi everyone - I just recently got myself one of these thin Zephyrus gaming laptops and as soon as I got it I decided to go for a LM repaste as the stock paste is kinda awful.
    Idle- 52C
    Full load (CPU&GPU)- 93C

I have applied LM before on my main device (MSI GT83) and on another 2 devices (Asus Rog G751JY and a MacBook Pro) so I would like to think I know what I am doing (electrical 33+ tape, nail coat on PCBs, thin LM layer etc)...HOWEVER - it is for the first time I remove a copper heat sink and the thermal pads are completely destroyed. I cannot tell what the thickness on these should be for the Zephyrus, the amount of residue left behind by the pads is not that great so perhaps 0.5 mm?

Needless to say that the old stock paste was incredibly dry, like something I've never seen before...hence decided to save this laptop's life by using LM.

I have ordered the below and I am waiting on these to arrive as I ran out from last LM procedures - I am just a bit unsure on the thermal pads, not sure if 0.5 mm would do or if I need 1.0 mm ones.
    Perhaps someone here can advise on the thickness of thermal pads? Have a look:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

hmscott and Vistar Shook like this.
  9. Vistar Shook

Vistar Shook Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    That looks like a gooey thermal paste that is used instead of thermal pads. I don't have the machine so can't confirm. If you have issues with the thermal pads, you can use K5 Pro, which is similar to that gooey paste to replace the pads.

thebigbadchef and hmscott like this.
  10. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Did you try undervolting to reduce the 100% load temps from 93c by 10c? Asus and other makes overvolt in the BIOS by a good amount, you should be able to undervolt by -100mV on average - more or less from -50mV - -220mV which makes a big enough difference in stock paste temps that you won't need to pull it apart and void the warranty, or cause damage - like by LM leaking - which happens to even the most careful modder.

It's free cooling - one of the first things you do when getting the laptop, software changes are easier to do quickly, without leaving a mark. You can use undervolting even if you do end up pulling it apart - some people just love DIY work.

Looking forward to your benchmark results with the new CPU and 1070 performance.

Congratulations on your new laptop :)