ASUS ROG Zephyrus GX501 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by HamzimusPrime, May 20, 2017.

1. tr3y

tr3y Newbie

Reputations:
    Hurm.. Interesting. Thanks for the info.

2. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 nͫiͤcͫeͤ

Reputations:
    If you want a properly working laptop then I would look far away from the GX501.

Even asus's garbage offerings are somewhat better than their own GX501.

mason2smart likes this.
  3. Jeezo

Jeezo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi guyz , i'm considering this laptop fro Pro Audio use i have 2 questions (sorry if that have been asked before)

1) Does this laptop allows switching from dedicated GPU to intel one ? (optimus or equivalent)

2) Does upgrading the SSD is avodiing the waranty ?

3) i usaully go for HP elitbook /zbook , Dell precion or Lenovo Workstation , but i needed something silent and rugged (the zbook studio is Noisy and the dell im typing on right now is not solid )
    Do you guyz think the build quality of this opne is good ? (used to have msi stuff but the close mecanisam always had issues !! when you cloase them the plastic on lid get loose with time)

thks

4. Derek712

Derek712 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    If you get time, do you mind sending me a dump of the EDID on the screen? I bought one aftermarket and am struggling to get it recognized by the laptop. I'm hoping I can overwrite the EDID(assuming it's not locked).

5. mason2smart

mason2smart Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Performance isn't bad it's the small dumb engineering choices that add up. The gpu can be oc'd up to and past stock 1080 speeds

I get a decent 60 fps innshadow of war which in my opinion is very taxing on cpu and gpu

Audio on this sucks. Look for a computer with a decent dac and soundcard.

hmscott likes this.
  6. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 nͫiͤcͫeͤ

Reputations:
    How can I do it?

I will dump EDID for you.

7. Derek712

Derek712 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I just need the registry file like here in the video(time 1:25):

Also, if you could please run this and export the EDID to a binary file: https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/monitor_info_view.html

That should be good enough for me to compare and try some tweaks. Thanks a bunch - I really appreciate it!

8. Mobius 1

Mobius 1 nͫiͤcͫeͤ

Reputations:
    1. No, you're stuck with the GTX1080. Which means that your battery will be horrible.

2. There's a sticker on the SSD screw. But under US and EU laws this sticker is illegal. If you ever get refused out of warranty, taking ASUS to small claims court will always result in your victory.

3. Not sure. The entire chassis is really thin and flimsy imo. I suggest if you're used with the Zbook's good build quality, just get that and either uninstall your ears or buy earplugs.

I'll do that soon.

9. bsch3r

bsch3r Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Just for the record: my zephyrus runs flawlessly. The only thing I have to criticize is the hdmi out which does not do the 2.0 spec. I never owned a laptop with such a horse power in such a small package and low noise under load. The build quality is way better than e.g. the Clevos of which I own three.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
    hmscott likes this.
  10. Jeezo

Jeezo Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thks , noise is an issue that's why i needed the optimus thingy , not really for battery , i usually work at least with pen can Beyer DT 990 Pro , so yep after 5 hours of mixing , mixing alone is fatiguing , if you add the laptop noise , it's just a nighmare ..... HP are noisy , my XPS as i tweaked it is exellent (9530) and i'm considering any portable powerfull quet and well layed out (ports) units , the new xps ports are a joke , the Zbook studio noisy ....the P51 is first on my list but never tried lenovo isince no more IBM , built quality and QC seems random ...

thks for your input ;)