ASUS ROG Zephyrus GX501 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by HamzimusPrime, May 20, 2017.

1. Paul Zymon

Paul Zymon Newbie

Reputations:
    how's your temps? Im reaching as high as 90 deg when playing PUBG. its very alarming.

mason2smart likes this.
  2. mason2smart

mason2smart Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Same but for me this has been a common issue in most laptops I've owned. I blame Intel on poor thermal design as the gpu stays at a steady 60-75 C with similar cooling. The gpu doesn't seem to throttle as horribly at high temps as the 7920hq did in my gt83. It actually benched higher than the 83 in xtu lol.

3. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont wast your $$ on FILTH

Reputations:
    Don't put the blame on Intel. Rather put the blame on the OEM's who shrink/skimp on the cooling design/cooling capacity in their notebooks. You can't expect good cooling if all they prefer is to make thinner and thinner laptops and give a damn in good enough cooling!! Put as well a part of the blame on the buyers who don't stop up, thinking and say NO to all this. Only minimal sale can force a change to the better.

4. Paul Zymon

Paul Zymon Newbie

Reputations:
    so how do you guys lower the temperature?

5. MaxQHunter13

MaxQHunter13 Newbie

Reputations:
    Just received Asus GX501VSK with 1TB M.2 SATA SSD.

CPU and GPU are re-pasted with Gelid GC Extreme and CPU is undervolted by 0.130V with XTU.
    Playing PUBG on ultra setting gives me CPU 74°C and GPU 64°C.
    Fan noise goes up to 40db and It is very quiet compare to G752(48db) and GL702(55db) during load.

I’m super impressed how cool and quiet during load for how thin it is.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
    bsch3r likes this.
  6. Mr. Q

Mr. Q Newbie

Reputations:

Damn! I JUST got my zephyrus and I have that same bend on the hdmi!

Can other people check too?

7. Derek712

Derek712 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I had it on the three units I saw. It's a defect in the casing. It bends back though.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

8. MaxQHunter13

MaxQHunter13 Newbie

Reputations:
    Mine does not have any bend under HDMI port.

9. Mr. Q

Mr. Q Newbie

Reputations:

I after driver updates, undervolting, and a few tweaks here and there my 15r3 1070 is around 65 for both cpu and gpu on load. My issue is the provided ac adapter isn't good enough and I had to buy a 330 wat because anything lower causes the pc to drain while on load

On my zephyrus my cpu is at 85 and gpu 75

10. Mr. Q

Mr. Q Newbie

Reputations:
    Here's my review so far. (In case anyone wants an opinion from someone who bought it).

Purchased my 1080 variant for 2340 USD on Amazon (seen it as low as 2250 and average of 2580).

Build:
    Metal body feels solid, I like the overall construction. It both looks good and feels great.
    The two main issues are, if you have it on your lap, the bottom part (which opens up for venting) flexes. It makes me worry it'll bend.

The monitor hinge is actually quite solid, even when typing hard, the monitor doesn't wobble. I like that.

There seems to be a build issue with there being a bent bit of metal under the HDMI port on the left. I tried to bend a bit of it back into place but it's not flush. Seems others have this same issue.

The lid is a bit of an oil magnet, but wipes off easily. The interior is actually pretty good at not staining with finger oils. My Razer Blade was impossible to wipe clean. Good job zephyrus.

Keyboard:
    Despite what people say as a weird placement for the keyboard, it's actually more comparable to a desktop keyboard in terms of placement and how a normal keyboard is slightly raised. The key's aren't soft or hard. They aren't very clicky like a mechanical keyboard, but do have a satisfying soft bump.
    I usually game with a keyboard with me anyway, even when with a laptop. but I felt like I didn't really need it. Just a mouse (which oddly didn't come in the box by the way, I thought it was supposed to come with one). Because of it's placement, I don't touch the sharp edge of laptop itself like I do on my Mac.

The one small thing I'll comment on is the fact that FN is on the left which pushes the CTRL a bit further to the left and means I have to stretch my fingers more. On the right there's this 'menu' button which is basically a right click. I say get rid of that, put the FN there and make the CTRL bigger.

Also bare in mind that the enter key is horizontal in the US version and vertical in the UK version (like macs are). I prefer the US version.

Trackpad:
    The placement doesn't bother me, I like it actually. It's more 'natural' to have it to the right. It does take a bit of getting used to it.
    The surface is super smooth.
    The big issue with it is the size in terms of width. It's not wide enough to do a two finger gesture to go back to a page for example.

Love the number pad feature more than I thought I would. I actually use it a lot. it's also convenient for when entering pin code to login

I also noticed that there's some form of anti-touch on the edge of the trackpad. This is important so that if you are reaching for enter, you don't want to move the mouse by mistake. I didn't expect them to include that, but it's great!

LED / Lighting:

I'm happy we have zoned lighting, which it was addressable LEDs though.
    I dislike that I cannot turn off the red lights under the laptop that the buttons on the right are always red, and that the lights are uneven and unbalanced. Meaning some keys have their lights showing under the keys, but some buttons (the H, N, half of M and half B don't), and when setting keyboard to blue, some keys like the 3, windows, ctrl, and tab are a different shade of blue. I actually thought this was intentional, but I couldn't see the logic.

So Asus, please give us more control over the animation and the keys. Wish I had the same game lighting like razer has for their keyboards.

Ports and Connectivity:
    Happy! 2 USB on either side, a usb C port, HDMI, and headphone jack.
    I wish it had an SD card reader (but then again this wouldn't be used for a lot of productivity with it's poor battery life) and a display port and an Ethernet port for lan parties. These two issues are resolved with a USB C to display port adapter and a USB C to ethernet adapter (provided in the box).

Gaming:
    No issues whatsoever. Made sure everything was updated. Playing overwatch on everything maxed at 120hz, I was getting around 131 fps. I had no stutter at all. However, bare in mind that you MUST be plugged in for a good experience.

I tested it without the charger and it's really slows down significantly. To the point where you'll have to go to low settings to avoid lag.

Unlike my Alienware 15R3, I have no perfmance issues when I'm plugged int. It constantly keeps the power. With the AW it would charge, and discharge even when plugged in, which would cause the games to slow down for a few seconds while it was discharging for a bit. I don't have this issue with the zephyrus.

Audio:
    I'd say that the audio is the weakest part of this laptop. 1- volume isn't that loud 2- There's distrotion in audio on high notes which makes it unbarable 3- There's hardly any bass to it. I have to say it's one of the worst speakers I've had (the worst experience being the alienware 15r3 which is my other laptop).
    Techradar says the speakers are 'loud and clear'. So either they've got low standards (they also said they don't like the keyboard placement which i think is great on a desk), or I've got an issue with my unit. Either way, for the price, I'm sure most people will agree we expect better quality control.

Display:
    It's a mixed bag really. I'm happy that it's a 120hz panel, but I've noticed two things.
    In darker areas in a game, there's visible ghosting.
    In brighter areas of the game, you can see like a rolling shutter effect (yes Gsync is enabled and vsync disabled). This ghosting could be due to to the response time I've been researching for the screen, it's almost double the response time of AW 15R3.
    Overall, I'm happy with the color reproduction for gaming.

Heat:
    Sadly it does get hot. You definitly don't want this on your lap when gaming.
    They keyboard got warm for me too. Not too hot but it's noticable.
    To be honest, I was surprised I was getting 85 on cpu and 76 on gpu when playing OW. My Alienware 15r3 (after loads of headaches and tweaks) got 65c (that was a 1070 non-maxQ)
    The raising of the laptop to give it more airflow is actually very functional. It's amazing what a few milimeters can do. (stop!).

I do recommend unvolting by around .100v. It took temps from 85 for the cpu to 73c average and 80 full load

What do I think? I really like it. I'm happy with my purchase.
    Why did I buy it? For gaming at the office or when traveling (or wherever my desktop isn't). Not meant to be gaming at the park, only wherever there's a an outlet. This isn't really a laptop for your lap. It's a portable gaming machine that'll take anything you can throw at it.

Issues:
    On occassion the screen will stay black although pc is on. A quick sleep and on again will resolve this.

Pros:
    - Slim
    - Nice build and design
    - Fast
    - Quiet as it can be under full load (audible ,but not as bad as bigger 1080s)
    - Nice keyboard
    - 2 USB on either side and USB c
    - At the price I bought it for (2350), it's great. At 2700 USD which is the RRP, I'd think twice to be honest.
    - Very fast
    - Love the short cuts for airplane mode, sleep mode and ambient light sensor.

Cons:
    - that little bend under the hdmi shows there's a build issue. Other people experience the same thing.
    - Can't control LEDS under pc and the always red led's on the right.
    - Terrible battery life (perhaps a mode to use intel graphics to enable and disable would help)
    - Terrible speaker quality
    - Ghosting / rolling shutter effect in game at high fps.
    -

Wishes for Zephyrus 2
    - Fully adjustable LEDs, keyboard and any other leds
    - better speakers
    - better temps
    - no ghosting screen
    - Edge to edge screen
    - Display port
    - Better battery life
    - A tactile feedback (like mobiles have) for the trackpad, so we feel the key press.

Software I used:

- Cam Monitoring
    - Intel Extreme Tuner (to undervolt by .100)
    - Wtfast
    - Driver Booster (to check what drivers out of date but update manually)
    - MSI Afterburner
    - CPUZ
    - GeForce Experience
    - Razer Cortex
    - Intel Driver and Utility Updater
    - CCleaner

In conclusion:
    Kill the damn healer!

OW players feel me.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    Redteam and hmscott like this.