ASUS ROG Zephyrus GX501 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by HamzimusPrime, May 20, 2017.

1. linrenwei

linrenwei Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Where did you purchase from? I don't understand why a 1070 would come with another brick unless they're refurbished or some other reason. You shouldn't be paying brand new advertised price for some aftermarket part. Really ghetto. Plus the official asus adapter looks slimmer and I would much rather be carrying and using that one.

2. Derek712

Derek712 Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I got mine through Amazon.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

3. RedSeven

RedSeven Newbie

Reputations:
    I hate to sound so overly dramatic but I absolutely have to be able to turn off these LED lights that shine brighter than a diamond in a dark room.

First, I'll be spending a week in an open room with 3 or 4 other people with very little privacy. And then, for 365 days I will be living in a small room overseas with one other person who will likely be trying to sleep late at night when I'd rather be gaming, netflixing, or even facebooking. If these lights continue to shine bright, I will not be gaming much at all.

Besides tape over the lights- What can I do? The lights turn off when the laptop isn't plugged in, so there has to be some way to trigger or trick the lights into staying off. These lights absolutely ruin the laptop. They're brighter than the screen itself.

4. Derek712

Reputations:
    There doesn't have to be a way... It's likely that the lights are powered and are in line with the charger. Similar to charger connectors that have an LED at the tip only this is on the laptop side.

Asus is notorious for having unnecessary lights that can't be turned out, so it won't surprise me if these are impossible to do so.

You could open up the system and sever the connections but there's risk of losing the charging circuit. You're better off taping them.

5. ckbe1983

ckbe1983 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello, just found this Forum and glad that there is more happy buyers. I recently bought the VIK Version of it and did a lot of tweaking allready. Liquid Metal to the GPU and CPU aswell as the Vcore -130 and GPU Memory and Core Clock increase by 200Mhz. Im so freaking Happy about this Notebook. I got close to 20.000 Graphic Score in Firestrike and the Fans are pretty quiet. I do have my own company and i do drive like 10.000km a month. I have a pretty solid table at the Back Seats of my VW Tiguan and sometimes i just have to wait in my car for a couple Hours. This is the perfect solution for me. I can carry this thing around in the Hotels and my Car perfectly. I had the Alienware R17 before, i gifted to the brother of my wife now, because the concept of this Gx501 fits my playstyle much better. Plus it looks amazing. Im about to install a 27" QHD Screen somewhere in the Backarea of my Car. Have to look this up once spring arrives here in Germany.

hmscott likes this.
  6. vacationtime

vacationtime Newbie

Reputations:
  7. Derek712

Reputations:
    I thought the speaker problem was hardware related and could be fixed by opening the system up and insulating the speaker from vibrating. Or is this a different issue?

vacationtime likes this.
  8. mason2smart

mason2smart Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    According to Microcenter, ASUS repairs and part distribution have been in disarray due to their Main Part Distributer Going Out of Business... I Won't be getting a new battery any time soon.

I swapped my surface pro out for a 15 in SurfaceBook so I can have something to use for programming in class, but it feels so bulky compared to the pro and will be difficult to take notes on. Even the 13 inch has its drawbacks compared to the pro (eg. 2x weight, less battery in tablet, no fan?, having to remove tablet to flip around keyboard.) [​IMG]

Degradation is now 29% wear on the Zephyrus' battery with only 42 recharge cycles

Not sure if its just BF1 but I've been suffering from CPU throttling since the latest set of maps came out.

vacationtime and hmscott like this.
  9. Paul Zymon

Paul Zymon Newbie

Reputations:
    whats your maximum undervolt in XTU?

hmscott likes this.
  10. mason2smart

mason2smart Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    For me it's -110mv

hmscott likes this.