ASUS ROG Zephyrus GX501 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by HamzimusPrime, May 20, 2017.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    It's been that way for a long time :)

Asus only updates previous laptops support area drivers a few times, then moves on to the next new laptop, which is where to find the latest drivers, apps, and tools.

I also go to Asus's new motherboard and GPU support sections for new drivers, apps, and tools :)

Asus is pretty good about updating older laptop / motherboard firmware with fixes, those will go in the exact model they support.

bsch3r likes this.
  2. Papusan

Papusan BGA Filthy = That sucks!! STAHP! Dont buy FILTH...

Reputations:
    Hope you are more lucky than this one!! Asus g73jh - messed up drivers/utilities/programs, please help

mason2smart likes this.
  3. mason2smart

mason2smart Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Bios sometimes doesn't recognize left USB ports for booting external flash drives, etc.

hmscott likes this.
  4. pitha1337

pitha1337 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hi, somone got the same issues? Are there any fixes out now? I got the 1080 model and BIOS 201.

• Big Distortion noises of the left speaker from mid to high volume (ASUS is aware of this)
    • Sometimes when booting the laptop my screen keeps black
    • In the Asus Gaming Center I can't see any overclocking option which are discribed on the webpage (Turbo Gear?)

bsch3r and mason2smart like this.
  5. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You are better off without ASUS Gaming Center. It is bloatware/addware

Use MSI afterburner or NVIDIA Inspector for overclocking. The Zephurus does not have overclocakable CPU.

hmscott, mason2smart and Vasudev like this.
  6. mason2smart

Reputations:
    Gaming center seems to improve battery life by reducing clocksvwhen in battery... unless this is handled by nvidia....

hmscott likes this.
  7. mason2smart

Reputations:
    Tbh I don't have black screen on boot but the bios is really screwy esp with the I/o mouse for both trackpad and wired the mouse skips all over the place sometimes and it often doesn't list the left USB ports. Trackpad has issues inside windows as well.
    Bios sometimes refuses to launch when pressing f2 on boot, esp when restarting
    Bios wont save custom boot order.

Also can't get nvidia control panel to launch on startup or stay open in taskbar.

Also was sent the wrong extra PSU... Paid full price for extra PSU from Europe and got an old PSU that costs around $10-$40 4 weeks after I out in the order...

hmscott likes this.
  8. Edddddd

Edddddd Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi guys, I have a quick question that's quite a departure from the technical conversation going on in this thread.

I purchased a GX501VI from Adorama a couple of days ago, and the main asus tape on top of the external packaging wasn't applied properly, so I'm a bit worried I might have received a previously returned laptop, sold as brand new (like many other horror stories on the web).

What was reassuring was that the smaller box inside was still shrink wrapped. However there was a hole on the side of the shrink wrap, not the kind of hole where it was damaged, but the kind where it looks like a part of the shrink wrap process.

I just want to ask anyone who recently purchased the GX501VI or anyone who can remember unpacking theirs, whether or not you had the same kind of gap in your shrink wrap. Thanks in advance for the help!

mason2smart likes this.
  9. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Did you already unpack everything? Take some pictures for your records.

If unit is clean, I wouldn't stress about it (check screws for chipped paint and slight Philips deformation). Put it through testing, and if it doesn't perform up to expectations, return it (most places give 15 days return period, no questions asked). Should also still have 1 year manufacturer warranty

hmscott likes this.
  10. Edddddd

Edddddd Newbie

Reputations:
    Everything in the box seems fine. I just wanted to know if anyone else had the same thing with their shrink wrapped box.

hmscott likes this.