ASUS ROG Zephyrus GX501 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by HamzimusPrime, May 20, 2017.

1. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    No, what counts most is the noise to the side and behind the laptop, as that's what others in the room are going to be subjected to. The user gets the fan noise drown out by the game play, and with the GX501 most of the noise generated is forced back into the room behind the laptop.

I keep stating it's noisy because I see the 55dba-65dba measurements in reviews, I've already posted them here on NBR as I find them.

Here's the first review I saw, there are others.

Asus ROG Zephyrus GX501VI with nVidia GTX 1080 Max-Q Detailed Review & Benchmarks

Idle readings start at: 09:00
    Load test reading: 10:40 - You can hear it's loud back there :)

As they say in the video, compare these readings to their other review videos, using the same testing hardware and methodology.

The other GX501 reviews show the same readings, and other videos show noise in the room reflected off the walls, you are too close to it - too positive about it - to notice, which is cool, it's always that way with new cool toys.

Check my earlier posts in the Max-Q threads here on NBR, I posted the videos and their noise readings. I haven't seen all of them, it started getting repetitious watching all those videos. See if you can dig up some more :)

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017 at 8:16 PM
    Darkhan and mason2smart like this.
  2. pdagal

pdagal Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    If you watch my review on YouTube, you can see actual video of the internals with me describing what you're looking at: . Starts around 8:50 if you don't want to watch the whole thing.

Temps barely changed with IC Diamond; like 1C lower. Asus did a good job with the paste and it was reasonable quality- in fact, it felt a little like IC Diamond.

3. mason2smart

mason2smart Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    @pdagal are you keeping g your unit? Did u buy it or is it a review unit?

Darkhan and hmscott like this.
  4. pdagal

Reputations:
    It's a review unit. I love it, but it's a bit beyond my budget at the moment.

mason2smart, Darkhan and hmscott like this.
  5. Darkhan

Darkhan Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I agree, for me its about the same as my XPS 9560 with 1050 under heavy load. That's pretty impressive noise for a machine hitting 20k firestrike.

However if your behind it or placing it against the wall like hmscott says, I am sure it's louder but under 100% load, school stuff is not going to make the noise any louder than a mouse fart.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017 at 9:43 PM
    mason2smart, bsch3r and hmscott like this.
  6. hmscott

Reputations:

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017 at 11:27 PM
    mason2smart and Darkhan like this.
  7. bsch3r

bsch3r Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    O.k., ill give up... If you ever have the chance to test out the zephyus yourself you will know what I mean. It may be louder on the sides and back but is still quieter than my AW17R4 and Phoenix on all sides. I have seen all the video reviews you posted and I think to draw conclusions the comparison at notebookcheck is more valid

Gesendet von meinem SM-G955F mit Tapatalk

8. pdagal

Reputations:
    Keep in mind that early reviews were done almost a month before final Max-Q optimized drivers were ready from NVIDIA. The July 29th drivers reduce noise and heat without even using Whisper Mode.

Darkhan and hmscott like this.
  9. hmscott

Reputations:
    That's good to know, thank you :)

Did performance suffer? What do you think were the changes to reduce heat and noise? Usually we get that from undervolting, or frame limiting, or game settings quality reductions, as those are the available parameters we can tune.

Given a certain performance level it's tough to reduce thermals further without performance loss. I could see the driver shaping power for the under maximum usage scenarios, but even then performance requires enough power to deliver results.

What would be available for Nvidia / vendors to help keep thermals down which keeps noise down? Did they say anything about what they did to make this happen? Was it Nvidia drivers only or also firmware updates from vendors?

Edit: It looks like CPU and GPU temps went up along with the quieter operation. Not a big surprise, if you throttle the cooling you'll throttle the CPU / GPU with higher temperatures.
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/asus-rog-gx501-leaked.805107/page-39#post-10583071

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017 at 2:59 PM
    Darkhan and mason2smart like this.
  10. pdagal

Reputations:
    No stuttering, no weird fps drops when gaming. I just switched over to an MSI GT73VR Titan Pro with i7-7700HQ and (obviously) non-Max-Q GTX 1080 for review soon, and it's astounding how similar gameplay and fps are. The CPU temps are of course significantly lower on the Titan- that is the most glorious overkill cooling I've ever seen on gaming laptop (and I've opened up probably a hundred over the years).

There are so many things that NVIDIA can tweak from micro timing changes to voltages for just a few milliseconds when load is lower or higher for a moment. They don't have to live with the basic all or nothing adjustments that we end users do.