ASUS ROG Zephyrus GX501 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by HamzimusPrime, May 20, 2017.

1. ThatOldGuy

ThatOldGuy Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Use an x-acto knife to cut little oles for screws. Leave holes, or tape over with thin electrical tape when done
    [​IMG]

2. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    The tape is over the heatpipes, which need to be removed along with the heatplates on the CPU / GPU, so it's gonna be interesting to see if it can all be removed at once, or if the tape will need to be removed to allow sections to come out in stages.

If the adhesive is only at the ends, you wouldn't want to cut away any of it, as you remove it and apply it over and over - he's likely going to need to do this a few times till he gets temps as low as he wants them - the adhesive is going to wear off and cutting away sections will reduce the sticking area further.

Maybe best to not cut it up before getting a pattern made from the original is good too. It's also tough to cut through that stuff without overshooting or causing an extended rip further than desired.

After he pulls it apart the first time he'll know better if access holes to the screws will help.

@Darkhan has already pulled up the end's of the tape to find the screws, an idea would be to remove those screws and the heatplate screws and see if the tape and heatpipes can come up as one assembly, by only unsticking the ends of the tape and leaving the bulk of the tape attached to the heatpipes. :)

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017 at 11:02 AM
    ThatOldGuy and Darkhan like this.
  3. pdagal

pdagal Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It's stickier than the average thermal tape used for the heatsink to fan connection. But it will peel up with care and patience and remain intact for re-use. I did it and removed the three tapes to do a repaste. It went back on and adhered fine.

4. Darkhan

Darkhan Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    hmscott likes this.
  5. pdagal

pdagal Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You're welcome, but actually, it's "m'am" :cool:.

6. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    mason2smart, Papusan and Darkhan like this.
  7. Darkhan

Darkhan Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Apologies! I just seen your name now in Sig.

Thank you M'am ;-)

8. mason2smart

mason2smart Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Here's some pics:
    2017-08-11-23-05-52-171.jpg
    2017-08-11-23-04-36-647.jpg

bsch3r, Darkhan and hmscott like this.
  9. bsch3r

bsch3r Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Did you take any pictures of the internals. What are the results of the repaste? Did the temps improve?

Gesendet von meinem SM-G955F mit Tapatalk

Darkhan, mason2smart and hmscott like this.
  10. bsch3r

bsch3r Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The whole point I posted the link is to show a comparison of the noise compared to two other gaming notebooks measured under the same conditions. It is already clear that the 15inch maxq zephyrus performs below 17inch non maxq units, has poor battery life and certainly is not for you. But pls stop stating it was noisy because its not, neither under normal usage nor under load. If I would not own this unit already I may have turned away if I have read it was noisy because noise is a major factor for me. And I will tell you now again as a user it is one of the quietest gaming notebooks around, especially the noise oriented to the user sitting in front of the notebook and this is what counts the most.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G955F mit Tapatalk

Darkhan, mason2smart and hmscott like this.