ASUS ROG Zephyrus GX501 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by HamzimusPrime, May 20, 2017.

1. MitoZo

MitoZo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    BIOS 311 is out.

2. mesaone

mesaone Newbie

Reputations:
    For the GX501VIK and GX501VSK versions. Looks like GX501GI, the model I have, doesn't get it. There's a version 308 listed for the GI model though, posted a few days ago.

No information about what has changed since 307, except for the vague "Improve System Stability"

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
    hmscott likes this.
  3. Jesse Rockwell

Jesse Rockwell Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    A pretty bad story about my experience with the zephyrus. I have owned the computer for about 18 months.

So, I am traveling in Tibet as a photographer, and the day I arrived in chengdu I noticed my zephyrus keyboard was bulging. I immediately knew it was the battery expanding which is obviously bad news.

I did not have the tiny six point screwdriver needed to get into the guts of the machine. It took 5 days through Tibetan towns to track one down. When I finally did, I got the machine open

https://imgur.com/gallery/24wF16l

As I lifted the top casing, the keyboard led ribbon ripped. It rips extremely easily, so be careful when opening.

I got 2 of the 3 Philips head battery screws with a Leatherman, and stripped the 3rd one! This means I had to find a shop that could get the stripped screw out.

After hours of searching I found one shop that was up to the task. We got the battery removed, and I was praying to whatever may be that the machine would run on AC Power without the battery!

THE BEST AND MOST IMPORTANT PART OF THIS STORY IS THE ZEPHYRUS RUNS PLUGGED IN WITHOUT BATTERY.

I got a bios warning about the battery once after a windows update, but other than that no issue running without battery.

hmscott likes this.
  4. Jesse Rockwell

Jesse Rockwell Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    A pretty bad story about my experience with the zephyrus. I have owned the computer for about 18 months.

So, I am traveling in Tibet as a photographer, and the day I arrived in chengdu I noticed my zephyrus keyboard was bulging. I immediately knew it was the battery expanding which is obviously bad news.

I did not have the tiny six point screwdriver needed to get into the guts of the machine. It took 5 days through Tibetan towns to track one down. When I finally did, I got the machine open

https://imgur.com/gallery/24wF16l

As I lifted the top casing, the keyboard led ribbon ripped. It rips extremely easily, so be careful when opening.

I got 2 of the 3 Philips head battery screws with a Leatherman, and stripped the 3rd one! This means I had to find a shop that could get the stripped screw out.

After hours of searching I found one shop that was up to the task. We got the battery removed, and I was praying to whatever may be that the machine would run on AC Power without the battery!

THE BEST AND MOST IMPORTANT PART OF THIS STORY IS THE ZEPHYRUS RUNS PLUGGED IN WITHOUT BATTERY.

I got a bios warning about the battery once after a windows update, but other than that no issue running without battery.

EDIT: Sorry for double post, I see no option to delete posts on this board???

5. Driver J

Driver J Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello everyone, new here to notebookreview. I ordered my GX501GI-XS74 a few days ago and found this forum. I've been trying to catch up on reading but the laptop arrived last night and I only got to page 117.

A little about myself, I've been into cars and mechanical work since i was about 15. I've been into sim racing and touge communities on console w/ wheel since approximately 8 years ago but recently my buddy kept trying to convince me to buy a PC for better games and mods. I've had a couple cheap laptops we used for engine standalone tuning but don't know much about hardware or software but am cautious when I approach such a thing.

The new laptop arrived factory sealed and inside the box was: manual, laptop, official asus charger, Ethernet adapter, and the under wrist slab to avoid fatigue. No mouse. I've looked for common problems such as fan noise, power cable whine, screen pixels not working properly, bending underneath the HDMI port, and speaker issues. All ports work fine (no way of testing Thunderbolt port for me). So far the only issue I've noticed was the speakers sounding tinny at high volume.

I got to installing and updating windows and bios, setting up Windows defender, and using asus healthy battery to not allow it to charge over 60 percent. Havent ran benchmarks of any kind yet.

Is there any other software I should look into before I start gaming? (I do want to protect my hardware for the long run and would rather just ask every day users)

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
  6. Driver J

Driver J Newbie

Reputations:
    I'm not as experienced as some of you are in this field but this is what I came up with.

After playing cs-go for about 20 mins, I checked HWmonitor and saw the max package temp was at 98C. Downloaded Intel XTU did a stress test and started undervolting. I went with testing in game (about 10 min long sessions) while dropping increments of -5mv. I didn't get an in-game crash until I got to -180mv which are numbers I haven't seen while researching brought it back to -170. The whole time, I only noticed a temp change of about 2 or 3C and I also noticed the 'battery power boost' slider right underneath kept going down throughout testing starting from 45w to 42w. XTU showed I was thermal throttling but also showed the clockspeed didn't drop below 3.6 or 3.7Ghz while throttling. Could the high temps be bad pasting?

7. Driver J

Driver J Newbie

Reputations:
    After more research I've found that because the chassis and thermals were introduced for the i7 7700 at 3.4 ghz, it has trouble keeping the 8th gen cooled down at 3.9 ghz.. I've downloaded Throttlestop, undervolted, and applied lower wattage and core speeds that sort of resemble that of a 7700. The results brought my temps down to 82c max over a period of 20 mins. Haven't done more testing because I have to leave at the moment. But is there really no other option?

8. bluesknight25

bluesknight25 Newbie

Reputations:
    Has anyone tried BIOS 311 for the GX501VSK yet? Any noteworthy improvements?

9. theycallmeprophet

theycallmeprophet Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Regarding the battery, I believe Asus (in my case I used the support office in Singapore) is aware of this. My 501GI needed to have the keyboard cable fixed (broke during ram upgrade- btw a 32gb modul works fine), and at the same time they changed the battery. However they tried several new batteries and all of them having a max of 45Wh instead of the 50WH. I am not happy that the capacity and specification is now reduced and changed 10% but maybe there is a reason for it? I am still thinking how to escalate this to Asus official, since I also had a horrible customer experience as a customer beside the battery (scratches on the case, lots of wrong promises, and the new parts were not properly tested after they changed it etc. etc.
    Otherwise I have to admit I still like the laptop, hardly any light bleeding (only 1 small) and it is absolutely stable. Under clocking with -160 helped a lot to keep the temp. down.

10. adampk17

adampk17 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hrmm, that’s interesting!