ASUS ROG Zephyrus GX501 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by HamzimusPrime, May 20, 2017.

1. Star1child

Star1child Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hey guys, I'm sorry to hear that some of you are suffering issues. I'm coming from Aorus X7 DT and Aorus X9 gaming laptops and must say I've been nothing but impressed with my Zephyrus GX501GI 8th gen Hex core.

Regarding most pro level gaming laptops; I would never expect more than one and a half hours runtime on Batt and that's with GPU performance greatly reduce in battery mode (especially rocking a GTX 1080, even with Max-Q tech). Besides I always have gaming laptops plugged in when I go from room to room, or different buildings and have yet to see any gaming laptop run triple A games at max performance in Batt mode. However I would agree that it would have been nice, even essential if the GX501GI could have a power mode for doing basic internet task, watching videos and non-gaming applications that enable the unit to run for at least 5 to 6 hours or so, possibly by reverting to an Intel Iris Pro chip for graphics and switching to 2 CPU cores with a low power state. You would think that this would be possible.

So far I've been lucky and not had any issues with my GX501GI Intel 8Th Gen. The only thing I'm waiting for is a 4TB version M.2 SSD because just a few games fill the single internal M.2 SSD straight away and there's no 2nd M.2 slot (to keep unit incredibly slim).

The slimness-to-performance ratio of this gaming laptop is truly mind-bending in my opinion.

Dennismungai likes this.
  2. Michael Iversen

Michael Iversen Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everyone,
    I'm the proud new owner of this fantastic laptop. I bought it used and windows is clean and all reset. Therefore there are no eSupport folder. So the keyboard lights does not work - numpad don't work. So I guess I need the eSupport folder.

Drivers and links do not work from the asus.com website either.

I saw someone in here upload the eSupport folder for VSK version... I need it for the VIK version. Is there someone kind in here that can upload and link for the folder?

Hope someone can help me...

3. Michael Iversen

Michael Iversen Newbie

Reputations:
    I need this tooo!!!

4. SteveEricJordan

SteveEricJordan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    -

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  5. kitzuki

kitzuki Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Was thinking about buying this laptop this thread was quite the read should i even bother at this point or wait to see whats coming soon?

6. SteveEricJordan

Reputations:
    -

7. Dennismungai

Dennismungai Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    From what reviews are stating, it seems the thermal solution used here is pretty much at its' limit, even on the redesigned GM501 with the 1070. A 1080 in there is a bit of a stretch.

What hotkey gets you into the BIOS on boot?

8. djcgeez2189

djcgeez2189 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    hmm sounds like bad luck i didnt have any problems with over heating after a ICdiamond 7 i was getting 74c average gpu and 86c average cpu about the same temps as any other laptop with these specs before repaste cpu was in the 92+ range which is insane

9. SteveEricJordan

Reputations:
    -

10. squadrive

squadrive Newbie

Reputations:
    I just own this laptop for about 1 month now. I would like to say that I'm pretty happy with this laptop overall. The gaming is smooth with that 120+hz screen (never had a screen beyond 60fps before, and yes I'm activating GSync), keyboard is really comfortable to type on, temps are pretty good considering this is a 1070 + hexa core 8th i7 laptop (I only do uV, not yet repasting cause its gonna void my warranty here). It stays on 87-90 C on full load (gaming MHW on High settings or even doing stress test with fan overboost on).
    1 thing I noticed tho. The CPU wattage is related to fan profile, so when I actually use silent profile, my max wattage is somewhere below 30W, in balance max wattage is 30W, and in overboost max wattage is 45W.
    and I noticed that even in 45W (with 87-90 C) my zephyrus still managed to maintain the 3,8Ghz speed without any throttling (or maybe it throttle to 3,8?) But yeah it's still a really good performance.
    The only thing I don't like is battery life, really, and the performance on battery (it's really limited, when I'm playing MHW normally it'll range about 70-100 fps but on battery it'll be 15-25 fps).
    Overall I'm really happy with this laptop. I hope this one can last longer for me (consider I've changed 3 laptops in just 6 month). Hope this will help someone to make a purchase decision!.

PS : Seriously the screen is really good. and the Mic Mute button build in is really useful for when I'm doing Voice Chat.''
    I just realized this is a GX thread one instead of GM that I'm using.. please ignore this posts.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018