ASUS ROG Zephyrus GX501 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by HamzimusPrime, May 20, 2017.

1. Fungus99

Fungus99 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just unpacked my Zephyrus M today and I have to say the quality control is pretty poor.
    I immediate noticed the my unit had a loose bezel on the bottom right corner and on both sides further up plus the lid along the right side isn't straight.
    There's also a bit of play when I lightly tap on the track pad.
    It's a shame cos the built quality and material used is great.

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      982.5 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      1.4 MB
      Views:
    • side.jpg
      side.jpg
      File size:
      786.6 KB
      Views:
  2. Support.1@XOTIC PC

Support.1@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Ugh, that is the worst when those types of things happen. Can really ruin the experience of a new system. Is everything performing ok so far?

3. Fungus99

Fungus99 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Do you have these issues on yours?
    I tried contacting the seller for an exchange unit but was denied. Said it was within factory tolerance and wasnt a defect.
    Apparently the bezel is held on my clips not glued so it might be possible to pull it off and reattach it back properly.
    I dont think I'm being fussy especially with a extensive machine.
    I also think I'm experiencing ghosting when i move rhe mouse curser rapidly. The mouse curser trails a bit but i think it's just one of the animations features enabled within Windows.
    Wifi also seems so be slow at times.
    I've only played around for a few hours so three might be other issues.
    However I'm very bothered by the built quality flsws on my particular unit.
    Should i continue pushing the seller for a refund?

4. Shark00n

Shark00n Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hi guys!

Anyone else suffering from speaker distortion?

My left speaker is quite noisy, just moving the windows volume dial and it hurts to hear. It's like something is rattling around it.
    Putting pressure around the CAPS LOCK - LSHIFT and LCTRL area makes it go away.

Here's a video of the issue -

I found this thread on Asus forums - https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?96896-ASUS-Zephyrus-GX501-speakers-distortion
    A few people there with the same issue. No answer or solution from Asus.
    I tried some of the suggested software tweaks but they have no effect, it looks more like a physical problem.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
  5. pitha1337

pitha1337 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have exactly the same issue with my Zephyrus. It seems to be a physical problem because when I lift up the front of the laptop it seems to be good. No solution from ASUS available and non of the driver updates worked for me.

I have to say that the ASUS support e.g. response in the offical ROG forum is just a joke...

Nevertheless I'm very happy with my device after heatsink change and repaste with liquid metal. Temps are just great (75C - 80C) under full load. Fan noise in ECO Mode is very quite. Haven noticed any lack of peformance in ECO mode. Only the fans are getting more quite.

6. Shark00n

Shark00n Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It really sucks. I'm trying to get Asus to fix it or replace it before doing any sort of mods.

I'm dying to put some liquid-metal on it, it'll be awesome with it I bet.

Did you also replace any of the thermal pads or that thermal goo?

7. Support.1@XOTIC PC

Support.1@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    yes that does sound like a physical issue. Since you already opened up the system. I would suggest just checking the speaker to make sure all of the wires are in there securely and that it is seated properly.

8. mrpettson

mrpettson Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello Everyone Iam new here!

I just bought an used GX501VIK but the previous owner did a total clean on the harddrive and now its impossible for me to install the correct Intel drivers. Do anyone here got the original "esupport" or "edriver" folder for me ? please please please :) !

9. Star1child

Star1child Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Desperate for larger M.2 SSD storage on my Zephyrus GX501GI E1012T, as I can only fit a hand full of games.

It seems 2TB is the readily available maximum capacity for a single M.2 SSD. One frustrating thing with the Zephyrus is the single only M.2 SSD slot. Though I can forgive this because of the amazing small slim size of the Zephyrus GX501GI, I still long to have more internal storage. If there was a single 4TB M.2 SSD, then I'd be all over it like a hawk.

But wait, what's this….

http://www.thessdreview.com/compute...b-m-2-ssd-on-proprietary-controller-computex/

When, where, how much? … is this real or fake?

10. p1nks0da

p1nks0da Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi there, I bought the 1st gen zephyrus 1080 max q with the i7 7700hq 3 months ago. So far, I'm vary happy, overall. What's the ideal temp under load for both CPU and GPU? Currently, I'm playing hunt showdown I'm getting 78 cpu 76 gpu on low of course, according to ROG center. I just want to know where to keep my temps when playing.