ASUS ROG Zephyrus GX501 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Gaming Notebook Forum' started by HamzimusPrime, May 20, 2017.

1. teiger

teiger Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Even the 4core gets quite hot at combined load. Undervolted to -160mv (max V ~1.08, most of the time around 0.98) and repasted with Mastergel Maker.
    If GPU and CPU is under full load CPU hits 93°C while GPU hits 80°C after around 15mins. Roomtemp was around 25°C

2. pitha1337

pitha1337 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    You should really try liquid metal. In my case my heatsink was uneven aswell. Replaced it and now my temps are just great :)

3. teiger

Reputations:
    Yeah but I don't want to spent another 100€ just for cooling (import, shipping,..). Also, liquid metal is a bit too risky for me, since I also travel a bit and I'm afraid that it might leak out.
    And even with high temps I hope that this laptop will last for at least 4 years, after that I guess I need to upgrade due to the hardware limitations.

hmscott likes this.
  4. Support.1@XOTIC PC

Support.1@XOTIC PC Company Representative

Reputations:
    There are other thermal compounds you can use other than a LM. Then are not conductive so if it accidentally gets on the MOBO you will not be SOL. That is what I personally recommend on EVERY build.

hmscott likes this.
  5. teiger

Reputations:
    Sadly there aren't. I used MasterGel maker and still got these results. Thermalpastes go up to 16wmk, while 16wmk doesnt show a much better temperature like 12wmk.
    If you know some non conductive thermalpastes above 20wmk, please let me know, I will definitely try it.

edit/ When I repasted, I saw some white staining/discoloration on the heat pipe where the old thermal paste was. Could it be that it influences the the heat transfer?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
  6. daddyz

daddyz Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Hi there. anyone here with GM501 and notice the SSD Drive Temperature 2 sensor showing it running hot? up to 85degC.
    The Drive Temperature seems ok ~45degC

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
    hmscott likes this.
  7. Fungus99

Fungus99 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The zephyrus m is the renewed design with slightly larger dimensions and centered keyboard with the new 8th gen chip and is available with either the gtx1060 or gtx1070.

Asus also refreshed the originally gt501 with the more powerful gtx1080 max q with 8th gen cpu using the same design.

My question is why on earth would Asus not refresh the flagship 1080 max q with the same new body design.

Obviously Asus knew the original design was flawed or else they wouldn't even bothered making a new design. So why reserve the original design for their flagship model? I dont get it. The m version is suppose to be the cheaper version is it not?

sa7ina likes this.
  8. daddyz

daddyz Notebook Guru

Reputations:

yes cheaper than the GX models. beside not using Qmax gpu, the centered keyboard,normal positions mouse track, new 8th gen cpu and a bit larger batteries. thats all i know. maybe the keyboard positions has complaint and maybe they will add more powerful gpu on the G501M models.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
  9. Fungus99

Fungus99 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yes i know that already that's way I'm confused. The gx501 max q had also been upgraded to 8th gen cpu but with same old body design, non centred keyboard and smallesr battery.

10. teiger

Reputations:
    My guess is that they still have enough left overs of the parts in stock. That's why they're still using it.
    Alternatively, the 1080Max-q needs a different layout (which I dont think).