ASUS ROG Zephyrus GX501 Owner's Lounge

Discussion in 'ASUS Reviews and Owners' Lounges' started by HamzimusPrime, May 20, 2017.

1. mason2smart

mason2smart Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
  2. MitoZo

MitoZo Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Have you guys update to BIOS 306. I've been running it for 4 days now. No issues.

3. SteveEricJordan

SteveEricJordan Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    -

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  4. DONGSQUAD69

DONGSQUAD69 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi guys,

Just got my Asus GM501 1070 version in yesterday.
    I love it, I think the build is quite brilliant compared to my previous AORUS X3 Plus V3, the only flex I see is in the bottom plate where the laptop raises.

Just a question about undervolting, but how does one do such a thing, would you recommend it for my model and how would one go about doing this?
    I'm currently ignorant to the idea of undervolting having never done it before.

Cheers!

5. GreggoG

GreggoG Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yes, I would recommend undervolting. Download Intel XTU and install it. If you dig around, you'll see something like "core voltage offset." Start incrementing that number lower and lower into the negatives, each time clicking apply to save your changes. Eventually, you'll go too low and the computer will blue screen and crash. Start your computer up again and go into XTU. The voltage offset will have reset back to 0.

Set the voltage to as low as you can go without it blue screening. But just because it hasn't blue screened when setting a voltage doesn't mean that it's 100% stable yet. From there, start doing stress tests with prime 95 or by playing an intense game. It may still crash. If it does, start incrementing your way up until you no longer get blue screens while testing. Save that voltage as a profile and it will be your new default voltage when the computer starts.

For me, I was able to reach -160mV without blue screening. But when playing games I would blue screen. So I worked my way up to -120mV and I haven't had a blue screen since.

hmscott likes this.
  6. DONGSQUAD69

DONGSQUAD69 Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for the detailed response.
    What'll happen if I get rid of Intel XTU after undervolting?
    EDIT: Probably not going to get rid of XTU, that s*** is freaking amazing.
    Undervolted CPU by -100mV. Crashed instantly at -125, worked up from -200.
    Might try -105 but not sure.

Anyone tried it with the GPU? Just curious.

Last edited: May 16, 2018
    hmscott likes this.
  7. GreggoG

GreggoG Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I don't think you can undervolt the GPU, as I think it's locked. But you can set a custom curve in MSI afterburner. Check YouTube for tutorials.

Vistar Shook and mason2smart like this.
  8. DONGSQUAD69

DONGSQUAD69 Newbie

Reputations:
    Cheers for the advice. V helpful!

9. wickette

wickette Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Because a BIOS/EC update might contain critical bug/security fixes...And the EC manages the fans, the sensors etc. So yes it might be worth updating.

There's a GX501 with coffee lake planned but it does not have Optimus....In Europe it's already out I think.

mason2smart and hmscott like this.
  10. mason2smart

mason2smart Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I have an extra brand new power brick for the gx501 I'm willing to sell (~$200 plus shipping) makes it around $40 less than what Asus would charge for one.

PM me if you are interested. It has never been used and is in original/plastic wrapping.

Asus doesnt really sell these. It came with my replacement unit and I already have 2 of them...

Attached Files: